Chapter 4

Thomas POV

When I wake up it take me a while to notice the people standing in the windows or every Glader running around the room trying to figure out what to do because the first thought that pops into my head is that Newt isn't in the bed anymore.

I look around for him and see him about 10 feet in front of or bed staring at the widow near our bed. He has a worried but also curious look on his face. I follow his gaze to the widow. which by the way wasn't that far away from my bed. That's when I notice the people in the widows.

Only they don't look like people. The man in the widow near me was gripping the bars with bloody hands. His eyes were wide and bloodshot, filled with madness. Sores and scars covered his thin, sunburnt face. He had no hair, only diseased splotches of what looked like greenish moss. A vicious slit scratched across his right cheek; I could see teeth through the raw, festering wound. Pink saliva dribbled in swaying lines from the mans chin.

"I'm a Crank!" The horror of a man yelled. "I'm a bloody Crank!" And then he started screaming two words over and over and over, spit flying with every shriek, "Kill me! Kill me! Kill me!..." (a/n this paragraph and most of the last one were takin directly from the book)

I looked back at Newt. After a couple of seconds he looked at me too. He motioned for me to go to him. I did without hesitation.

We stood there looking at each of the Cranks for about a minute before looking at the next. After a while I had enough of it and hid my face in the crook of Newts neck. He wrapped his arms around me. We stayed like this for who knows how long. At one point I heard someone yell "Alright lovebirds could y'all help us find out something to do?" but we didn't move.

Finally after who knows how long, they got the door open. It was dark beyond the door. No one really wanted to go in here. I had had enough though so I started heading towards the door. Newt followed closely behind me. He grabbed my hand as we reached the door. We looked at each other then together stepped into the dark room.