10 🦕

Two hours. This is how long it will take for it to hatch. I haven't left the lab for two days now. Thankfully, Damon went on a business trip for a week, so I didn't have to tell him where I was all this time. One day I might just run out of excuses and it is best to have some up my sleeve.

It's been two years since I started working with Eli and Henry, I've helped them improve behavioral traits as well as body structure, or else the new dinosaur would've died during incubation. After a bit of convincing, they gave me a raise for it, a very generous raise. During the improvement process, I got to learn what goes into developing the embryo, genetic engineering, and all the decisions that are made.

It is a lot of work that I didn't know about and a lot of man-hours. For two long years, five days a week, I helped with what I could, since I am no scientist. Henry did grow on me a bit. His brains and his attempts to charm me brought him into a new light. Eli... he's too demanding of what he knows too little of. I took advantage of my sex and pushed him out – sometimes physically – out of the lab when he became too annoying. As a man, if he hit me, I might hit back, harder.

After all the laborious work, the egg was completed and put into the incubator. There it stayed for the following couple of days. Henry made me in charge of monitoring it whenever I visited the manor, giving me little time to interact with Maisie. She grew on me as well. Such a sweet child. It's been a privilege to watch her grow for these past two years. Lying to Lockwood broke my heart. He was a very kind man, full of stories of his younger days. But I will do what I must for my Levi.

For the last ten hours, I was told to closely monitor the egg for any anomaly or problems. So, here I was, sitting on a spinning chair bored out of my mind. I've watched all the episodes of a series I download on my Netflix, played all the games I had on my phone, drew on all the useless paper in the room. I even played Tetris on one of the computers. The worker forgot to log out, but I didn't snoop around.

"Please give me a

A remedy, a melody

A memory that only I will have

If we stop here

Would it be better to just turn everything off?"

I stop singing when a small crack comes from behind me. I turn around and only find the lonely egg on the incubator where it's been for all these days.

Could've been the crack that made the noise?

My legs push the chair I sat closer to the incubator so I could take a better look at the egg, and surprisingly, there is a small crack on the side. This was the first noticeable change since I've been monitoring it.

"Wow, little guy, you're doing a great job," I cheer. If anyone else were here, they would think I've gone mad these past hours. I probably have. Boredom does things to the human mind that might send them into an infinite hole of insanity– I'm going too far.

I stare at the egg for over ten minutes, sighing when it made no progress. As I think about it, the hatching process might take hours since its DNA isn't perfect.

"You've shown me I have reasons

I should love myself

I'll answer with my breath, my path

The me of yesterday, the me of today, the me of tomorrow

With no exceptions, it's all me."

The egg cracks once again as I sing. I pick small parts of songs I knew, and in less than half an hour the egg cracks more. Inside the white egg is a black lizard with golden lines sliding down the sides of his neck and torso, and big, vibrant orange eyes full of emotions crashing onto each other.

"You're beautiful," I breathe out, amazed at the magical experience I'm going through for the second time. His tiny, clawed hand, pushes a piece of the shell and reaches for me. I raise my index finger and gently touched his slimy hand. "What should I call you?" His hand flinches back, and he squeals. "Archer, I'll call you Archer," He squeals again.

------

Very short chapter, just some introduction to Archer.

Did you like it?

The songs have almost all of the lines in Korean, but I wanted to add them because they are just perfect. They are respectively Jamais Vu and Answer: Love Myself by BTS. I got them from Color Coded Lyrics if anyone is wondering.

Make sure to follow me!

Don't forget to vote and comment on what you thought, and 'see' you in the next chapter.