3 - the drawings

“Honey, do you want breakfast?” I heard a soft voice say, drawing me out of my sleepy state and almost making me forget where I was. But then it all fell into place and I shot out of bed, nearly knocking Luke over. He looked up at me with shocked eyes blown wide, he had obviously been pretty close to me, considering me moving so quickly made him fall back onto his elbows.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled, leaning back down and not meeting his gaze as he studies your features.

“It’s alright, do you want breakfast?” he asked again, fitting up and crossing his legs, his eyes were still sunken in and his skin still pale. I began to think no amount of sleep could make him look anymore alive, that’s just how he looked, empty.

“Sure, what’s for breakfast?” I asked, my mind wandering to the fact that I hadn’t eaten since lunch the day e had taken me.

“I don’t know, I’ll check the fridge.” He said quickly before turning and rushing downstairs. I sighed deeply, running a hand through my knotted hair before getting up and making my way slowly across the room. Luke had never mentioned there being a bathroom, but I figured it would be the door next to the bedroom. I was wrong. This room was completely destroyed, a chest of drawers was broken in half, one of the legs of the bed was broken making the bed slanted. The pillowcase was ripped along with the duvet, leaving feathers everywhere. There was records from 90’s bands and pictures on the floor, torn from their frames, that were half burnt, a large pile of empty match boxes sitting next to the desk.

“What are you doing?” I jumped, turning towards the door and see the shadow of Luke, standing in the doorway, his same habit of putting one foot on top of the other. I noticed his habits, I noticed his twitches and his reflexes and I took note of them.

“Nothing, I was just looking for the bathroom. Who’s room did this belong to?” I asked, turning my head to look around again.

“No one.” Luke said, grabbing my arm and pulling me out into the hallway.

“The bathroom’s the next room. I have cereal downstairs when you’re done.” He said before retreating back downstairs. You walked out of the room and to the bathroom, thinking of the destroyed room I had entered before. I thought of all the things it could be, art room, old bedroom, family members bedroom, music room, the list went on before I caught a look of myself in the mirror.

I was a complete wreck. My hair was matted and stringy, I definitely did not smell my best. My eyes were beginning to look like Luke’s, which scared the shit out of me. My skin was pale and dry and over all, I just looked exhausted. I don’t remember if I slept properly or not last night. I probably hardly slept at all, that certainly wouldn’t surprise me at all.

There wasn’t much I could do and I didn’t care, I wasn’t really trying to impress the person who had taken me and had no intentions of letting me go. So I threw freezing water on my face and wiped it off before heading downstairs.

“I have Corn flakes, Froot Loops and Honey Nut Cheerios.” He muttered when I entered the kitchen, staring at the wall as if it was the most intense thing he could have said. I couldn’t help but laugh at the situation.

“Are you laughing at me?” He asked, a small dark smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.