{1} Shower Guard

Y/N's POV
Y/N regretted all her decisions as she walked across the Glade, with hunger and fatigue eating through her after a sleepless night.
She had stayed up late, waiting impatiently for the boys of the Glade to fall asleep so that she could shower in peace and comfort; after all, what semblance of privacy could she get during the day being the only girl surrounded by 50 boys?
And so, here she was, mindlessly slugging her body through the Glade towards Frypan's kitchen for breakfast.

"Mornin' Y/N! You're up early today, special occasion?" Frypan inquired with a generous smile.
"Just couldn't sleep last night Fry, nothing special." Y/N smiled gently, and then gratefully taking her plate of eggs and bacon, softly replied "Thanks."

After tossing her plate onto the table and herself onto the bench, Y/N hungrily devoured her breakfast with a feverish lust for food. She was aware that it might not look very lady-like, but it's not like she was ever the most girly girl anyway- she didn't care and the boys had grown used to it.
Newt deftly glided onto the bench beside her, along with Minho and Thomas, smiling in greeting and beginning to eat their breakfast.

"Good morning Y/N, did you sleep well last night?" Newt kindly asked, whilst shovelling food onto his fork.
Plastering on a believably awake face, Y/N turned to him and replied, "Yeah, I slept well, how about you?", throwing on a smile for effect.

After trying, (and failing), to listen to his answer, Y/N nodded and whispered a generic reply- something along the lines of "That's good, I'm glad"- before saying her goodbyes and leaving to go to the Medjack hut, where she worked.
Y/N enjoyed being a Medjack: the work was rewarding and she was naturally caring and compassionate, plus she wanted to help out as much as she could and this was the best way for her to do it. However today being a Medjack seemed like the worst decision of her life...
At first it had started with the regular slow trickle of Gladers with injuries varying from a Builder's splintered finger to a Slicer's cut arm, but then the rush hit Y/N, Jeff and Clint like an avalanche.
A flood of boys overtook the Medjack hut, all with different problems- one boy had tripped and sprained his ankle, one was hit by a plank of wood and rewarded with a concussion, another with severe burns on their arms from the kitchen; needless to say Y/N was exhausted from her lack of sleep and continuous work.

She finally got to rest at the end of the day, and after a very quiet dinner where her closest friends talked around her- assuming her to be tired solely from her job- Y/N excused herself from the table and went to her hammock, unknowing of the boy staring at her as she walked away.

Newt's POV
"Guys, has Y/N seemed a bit odd to you today?" Newt worriedly asked Minho and Thomas.
Hastily agreeing, Thomas replied, "Yeah, when I came back from today's run and went to the Medjack Hut for a sore foot, she hardly recognised me- it was like she'd become a mindless worker bee."
"Yeah, and just then, when she left, she didn't even remember to do our handshake! We always do our handshake, it's our ritual! I honestly don't know how she forgot- I mean how could you forget to interact with me? I'm amazing!!" Minho added in an offended manner, wildly waving his arms around in the air as if Y/N had physically hurt him with her passive rejection of him.

Shaking off Minho's fake bravado and narcissism, it was easy for Newt to see that they were all worried about Y/N- something had happened, and he was going to find out what and help her.
After briefly explaining his plan to Thomas and Minho, Newt left to talk to Y/N at her hammock.

Y/N's POV
Just as the sweet release of sleep was about to kiss her eyelids, Y/N recognised the rhythmic sound of footsteps padding gently towards her as she lay in her hammock. Groaning gently with thinly veiled annoyance, Y/N turned over in her hammock to be greeted with the face of her closest friend in the Glade: Newt.

"Hey Y/N... so, um, the boys and I were talking over dinner after you left, and were wondering if everything was okay with you today? You seemed a bit... out of it all day" Newt stated quietly, so as not to disturb surrounding Gladers who may already be asleep, or eavesdropping. He seemed anxious to offend her, incase it was another 'girl thing' like the last time he had been confused by her emotions.
"Yeah, I'm fine, just tired is all." Y/N stated as she internally debated as to whether to tell the whole truth. Giving in to honesty, Y/N added "I stayed up all last night waiting" as she sat up in her hammock with her feet lightly brushing the ground.
"'Waiting'?" Newt quoted with an adorably confused look on his face, "For what?"
"For everyone to fall asleep so that I could shower privately and feel safe." Y/N softly said, embarrassed by her reasons, even though she knew that Newt would understand. She dropped her eyes to the ground.

He had always been sympathetic and kind to her, protecting her from boys wandering eyes and sexist remarks when she became too tired to do so herself- he was a true gentleman. It's what made him her closest and most trusted friend.

"What?" Newt gasped, shocked that his best friend was depriving herself of vital sleep simply to feel safe whilst she showered, "Why didn't you tell me sooner?". He took a step closer out of concern.
"Because it was my problem and not yours. Besides, what can you do? Stand there and guard the door every time?" Y/N jokingly stated whilst gazing up at his face, snorting a little at what she thought was a ridiculous thought- who would ever do that for her? She shook her head slightly in self deprecating mirth.
"That's exactly what I would do." Newt unabashedly stated whilst taking another step closer, "And it's what I'm going to do from now on." His solid stance seemed unmoving to her, furthermore backing up what he said.

Y/N stared at Newt in shock for a few seconds, a small gasp of surprise leaving her lips... "Newt, I...I was joking- you shouldn't waste your time on me. You're Second In Command, you have better things to be doing.' Y/N rushed out.
Newt took her face in his hands, gently directing her to look into his eyes and realise that he was being genuine.
"And as Second in Command, and your best friend, it is my duty to make you feel safe." Newt ploughed on, unwilling to give Y/N time to argue with him, "So the next time you want to shower, come find me and I'll guard the door, okay?"

Once again stunned into silence by Newt's thoughtfulness, Y/N took a moment to reply. "O-okay, yeah I'll do that... thanks Newt, it means a lot to me."

"Anytime love." Newt smiled, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

A/N
Hey guys!
So, I've been rereading and tweaking some of these Imagines recently, and on reviewal of this one I feel that I just have to say something: this is definitely not my best work. 😬 😕
So please bear with these, and I promise that they do get slightly better as you keep reading!
Requests are now closed, I'm afraid!
Anyways, hope you managed to enjoy it even just a little bit! 🥰
Turrah
Xx