{2} Eavesdropping

A/N: The song attached at the top is what Y/N sings in this, (in my head at least), however you can imagine whatever song you like! Xx

Frypan's POV
"Hey, Y/N! Could you start peeling those potatoes? We need them for mashed potatoes tonight." Frypan ordered out.
"On it!" Came the short, yet polite reply from Y/N.

It was early morning in the Glade and it was  Y/N's duty to get a head start on the preparations for dinner.
Fry appreciated having another sensible person in the Kitchens with him; if he wasn't there for any reason then she could take charge, and she would always keep him right if he ever made any mistakes. A second opinion was a valuable thing to him and Y/N was one of the hardest workers he knew.
But after 2 months of her working there, Fry began to grow agitated. Not because of anything Y/N did, but rather what the boys around her did. In gathering around Y/N and eavesdropping whilst she worked, they were wasting time and not doing their jobs, and Fry was a firm believer of the phrase 'Do your part'- something those shanks weren't.
He was willing to let it slide until even the Second In Command, Newt, was skipping some jobs to listen, that's when Fry knew he had to tell her.

Y/N's POV
Throughout all of this- the boys constant eavesdropping, Fry's increasing agitation towards them and Newt's growing interest in her- Y/N remained oblivious.
It wasn't that she was naïve or ditzy, she just didn't think anyone could ever take notice or interest in her. She didn't see herself as pretty or funny or even that interesting to talk to.
However, her unfounded lack of self confidence didn't stop her from gently singing to herself whilst she worked; it was her way to make the day slightly shorter and more bearable. What she didn't realise was that everyone heard her, and found her voice pleasantly soothing to listen to...

"Y/N? I need a word with you for a minute." Frypan stopped her from peeling the potatoes.
"Uh, yeah of course, what's up Fry?" Y/N asked.
Frypan stopped for a minute, as if thinking of what to say, then crossed his arms and nodded down at her slightly, saying "You're a hard worker, you know that?".
Needless to say, this statement worried Y/N- was she somehow being fired? You couldn't get fired though, right? Could you...?
"Fry, come on buddy stop stalling- you're worrying me- just spit it out." Y/N interrupted.
"The boys have been eavesdropping on your singing." Frypan bluntly stated, shocked at how easy the words were to say. "They've been skipping work and hiding behind the Kitchen to listen to you sing."

Y/N stood there in silence. The boys were eavesdropping on her? Surely they had better things to do- it wasn't as if she was that good of a singer anyways.

"But- uhhh... what? How? When?" Y/N stuttered out.
"Whilst we make lunch, they sneak away from their jobs to listen to you. And whilst you're singing is great- believe me, I love it as much as they do- it's distracting them from their work and less is being done in the Glade. For shucks sake, even Newt has started skipping work!"
"That's ridiculous Fry," Y/N laughed, "no one is sneaking out of their jobs to listen to me sing."
"You don't believe me?" Frypan said in an offended manner, "Fine, today before lunch we're going to go and catch them in the act."
Rolling her eyes, Y/N replied "Whatever floats your boat Fry." And went back to her job.

~time skip to lunch~

  After having agreed with Frypan's idea, he and Y/N came up with a plan to lure the eavesdroppers into a trap and catch them red handed- Y/N would sing near the far wall until Fry gave the signal once enough boys had gathered, and they would both walk out and confront the lazy boys.
But Y/N had an extra idea, the cherry on top of the cake; she was going to sing the creepiest song her non-existent memory could provide to her, just so that she could creep out the boys before giving them a good scare. Smiling to herself, she nodded to Fry before commencing the plan.

Newt's POV
It was nearing lunchtime and the Second In Command was getting hungry, the Gardens were hard work after all. After putting past his tools, and cleaning his hands and face with a rag, he began the walk to the Kitchens alongside his other daily companions. Their routine was a simple one- stop by the back of the kitchen just before lunch so that they could hear Y/N sing; in Newt's opinion, her mellow voice was the most beautiful thing he had ever heard, and was worth skipping just a little bit of work. Add to that the fact that Y/N's singing wasn't the only thing Newt found beautiful about her, (in his eyes her personality and appearance were beautiful too), and Newt could never seem to drag himself away from her siren-like songs.
Usually, Y/N would be singing something sweet and jovial, however Newt noticed that today the song she sang was hauntingly beautiful with words that gave him goosebumps, lulling him into a trance.

"And just what the klunk do you think you shanks are doing out here?" A smug voice called out, shocking Newt and the boys gathered around him.
Newt and the others hadn't noticed Frypan walk around behind them due to Y/N's haunting song and jumped at the sound of his voice. After realising they had been caught, the group began stuttering out lame excuses as Frypan stood there and Y/N slowly joined him, both with their arms crossed in satisfaction.

"We were, ahh...just walking by...?" Newt said, with guilt and embarrassment reddening his face.
"Yes, and Minho doesn't use hair gel" Y/N sarcastically said, not believing Newt's lame attempt at an excuse. "Were you skipping your work to listen to me sing?" Y/N bluntly asked, cutting to the point.

Silence blanketed the group for a minute as they all internally debated as to whether to own up. Newt seemed to come to a decision first:
"Yes" he simply stated, having a sudden and fleeting burst of confidence.
"And are you skipping work to do so?" This time it was Frypan who carried out the interrogation.
Once again Newt curtly replied "Yes."
A look of skepticism and agreement passed between Frypan and Y/N at that, before Frypan said "You're lucky we didn't go to Alby about this. And we won't, as long as you promise not to skip any more work, good that?"
"Good that" came the disjointed reply from the group.
"So when else can we hear Y/N sing?" one of the boys, Mark, exclaimed. A wave of agreement and "Yeah, when?" followed this before Newt took charge of the situation, finally acting like the Second In Command again.
Raising his arms to silence the boys whilst placing himself between the two groups, Newt formed a fair compromise: "We don't skip work any more to hear Y/N sing, and instead she sings at the monthly bonfire. That way both parties are satisfied, alright?"
A pleased murmur rolled through the gathered crowd before they disbanded, returning to their jobs, leaving just Newt, Y/N and Frypan.

Sensing the upcoming conversation, Frypan awkwardly began to shuffle away, saying "Uhm, so yeah...I'm just gonna...go now. Okay, yeah...bye?" leaving just Newt and Y/N standing close to each other.

"You know your voice is beautiful, right Y/N?" Newt inquired, "I just wanted to let you know why I did it."
"Would you believe me if I said I don't like my voice?" Y/N scoffed, sadly smiling.
"I don't think I could no, it's just too good in my opinion" Newt sweetly said.
Y/N looked up at him in admiration, fumbling for something to say that would express how grateful and shocked she felt before giving up and settling with a simple "Thanks."

"I can't wait for tomorrow night, love" Newt winked as he walked away, leaving Y/N in a state of shock; she had forgotten bonfire night was tomorrow. "Hope you take requests!" Newt teasingly shouted as he limped further off, leaving a stunned and smiling Y/N behind.