{4} Target Practice

A/N: This one is completely based on this gif, hope you enjoy! Xx

Y/N's POV"Throw this one just a little bit higher!" Newt called out to her, gripping his machete like a baseball bat

Y/N's POV
"Throw this one just a little bit higher!" Newt called out to her, gripping his machete like a baseball bat.

It was the Greenie's bonfire, and Newt and Y/N had made up a small game; she would throw an apple or piece of rotting fruit at him, and Newt would cut it midair with his machete.
Needless to say, Gally's drink was clouding their judgement.

"Ok, you ready!?" Y/N shouted out.
Licking his lips in anticipation, Newt nodded his head before readjusting the grip he had on the machete.
The gathered boys looked on in awe as Y/N threw the apple in the air and Newt effortlessly cut it in half, for the 6th time in a row- a roar of cheers erupted throughout the crowd as Y/N and Newt broke out grins of their own.
Walking towards each other, they pulled each other into a hug, with Newt spinning Y/N around in a circle.
In their drunken minds this small achievement was a big victory for the night, and an escape from the horrifying reality of being trapped inside the Maze.

Still smiling, Newt said "We make a good team, love."
"Heck yes we do!" Y/N drunkenly agreed, furiously nodding her head as her fingers fidgeted with the hair at the nape of his neck.
With her arms around his neck, and his arms around her waist, they shared a sweet kiss; calls of "Get a room!" and "Yeah Newt! Get it man!" came from the crowd.
They pulled apart before sharing a sweet smile and laughing at the boy's antics.

"Alright guys! Time to hit the hay, it's been a good night but we've all got to work tomorrow!" Alby announced.
The Glader's reactions were split; some groaned in annoyance whilst some nodded their heads in agreement.
No matter their reaction, they still obeyed this order and dispersed to their hammocks, leaving Newt and Y/N at the slowly dimming embers of the bonfire, with Alby trusting Newt to respect the curfew- no matter how drunk he was.

The spontaneous crackling of the glowing fire was a relaxing sound to Y/N, and she slowly became drowsy: the excitement of the night had finally caught up to her, and a wave of fatigue washed over her as her head dropped onto Newt's shoulder...
She gave into sleep's sweet temptation.

Newt's POV
Newt gazed down in admiration at his girl. Even asleep she brought him comfort and a sense of belonging- he'd be lost without her. She was his rock, and he was hers: they relied on each other for support, comfort and stability.
The love they shared was clear for the other Gladers to see, but Y/N and Newt didn't mind- after the first 2 weeks of dating, the shock had finally worn off for the rest of the Glade.
An entire year into their relationship now, and Newt was beginning to imagine a future with Y/N.
Would they escape the Maze? Would they get married and have kids? And if they didn't ever escape the Maze, what would a marriage in the Glade entail?
These thoughts swirled through Newt's head unanswered, before the realisation struck him that as long as he had Y/N, he was ok- the future would unfold itself, for now Newt was content just being with Y/N. He had made a promise to himself and Y/N to protect her, and he would, no matter what.
As Y/N shifted in her sleep and cuddled further into Newt's chest, he was drawn out of his daze and looked down at her before gently gathering her in his arms and taking her to their shared room to sleep off the alcohol in their systems.

They were both going to have a killer hangover the next morning.