{22} Carved In Stone: part two

The crystal water lapped at his feet, the ruckus of starving birds surrounded him. Still, he paid no attention to anything but the monument in front of him.
He doubted much would be able to tear his gaze from their names. Maybe not even his Uncle Minho.

"Were they happy?" His tired voice croaked.

Minho's confused expression prodded for more specificity, not knowing what Alby was asking.
The young boy looked up with tear filled eyes: "Before this, before me; were they happy together? In the- the Maze, or whatever you called it. When they met, when they escaped. Were they happy?"

Staring at their son, Minho remembered Newt and Y/N. Alby had the same unruly blonde hair as Newt, but had his mother's kind eyes and passionate temperment.
"Yes. They were happy. And knowing you're here, safe and alive, they'll still be happy. Your parents loved you, Alby."

Nodding, Alby struggled for words. He couldn't think of anything else to say that would explain how he felt, so he said nothing.
Their pointed signatures stared at him, carved by Minho just this morning.

'Y/N + Newt'

Letting the tears fall down his face, Alby asked the only question he could stomach the asnwer to in that moment: "Their names. They'll be gone soon, won't they? I mean, stone doesn't last forever, and at some point it'll be gone. Forgotten. And no one will remember them, or care that they're de- gone now."

Air caught in Minho's lungs, silencing his astonishment at this. Alby was wrong, but how was Minho to cut through so much grief and frustration at the world with common sense and comfort?
His parents had died and his grief was consuming him.
Minho was never good with words, always preferring showing over telling; but he'd made a promise, a vow to Newt that he would look out for Y/N and his son.
He couldn't stop the illness that took both Newt and Y/N too soon, but he would care for and protect their son.
He would keep his promise, no matter how uncomfortable words may be for him.

"Words carved in stone can only do so much for so long, Alby. This monument is not their legacy; you are. Your parents loved you, you were their hope, their light. You have to be strong, you have to live on for them. Survive their legacy, continue their memory."

Using his uncle as an anchor, Alby fell into Minho's embrace, allowing himself to be comforted and to weep. He knew Minho was right, but he wasn't ready to be strong yet, he didn't want to be. In that moment, with the silent beach welcoming dusk, he allowed himself to be weak.
His body shook as his uncle held him tight, standing steady for him... keeping his promise.

Tomorrow, however, tomorrow Alby would be strong. He would live, and he would always remember his parents.