epilogue

IT is known to a select few that walk this earth that there is a queen who sits on a thrown and rules over all. She, along with her brothers, oversee the very balance that is humanity, despite not being human themselves. They watch from the shadows in which their souls reside, as life moves all around them and they remain like the ancient castles and great monuments from the past, unmoving but strong nonetheless.

There are even fewer, that know about the girl that brought life back into the statue of a queen, and those that do, come to love her.

It is not an immediate love, for many at least. For a long time following the bringing of Renesmee to Volterra, they watched her with a calculated indifference, putting a purposeful amount of space between the girl that was claimed from near birth by a being so above them, and themselves. Overtime however, as their masks of indifference crumbled and gave way to curiosity, curiosity at the sight of a girl so innocent, effortlessly breathing life into everything she touches.

They watch and watch as she grows, remembering the lessons her family taught her, and learning new ones from the coven she tentatively calls family now, and when they watch her blossom, they cannot stay away, for she is beauty and grace and a light that has statues coming back to life if only to bask in the feeling of it.

RUNE volturi had never been in love. Had never felt the flutters in her stomach that bloomed with potential, never felt sweaty palms or a quickly beating heart. Immortality took away her chances of ever getting any semblance of a human love, and as the Volturi rose to power, and the weight of a crown and the responsibility it carried fell to her shoulders, the woman lost hope of ever finding that love.

Then, she met her, and life fell into place from there, and everything made sense in ways Rune didn't even know she was meant to be questioning.

The queen got to see the young girl who though had matured in body, fame to mature in mind in ways only a vampire turned to early in life could, all while her heart remained beating. She got to watch and help and navigate and eventually help Renesmee carve out a place for herself with the Volturi, watch as two separate walks of life settled together, got the hear a beating heart beside her while the young hybrid slept, oh how wonderful her sleep was, got to watch as naivety faded into a sense of self and resolve, got to watch as she grew and grew and blossomed.

And oh, this is love.

SHE sat in the place she claimed for herself, when Rune found her. Renesmee had found the garden on the upper levels some time shortly after arriving in Volterra, and found Her Seat by the window that looked over the city some time after that. It was her favorite place, to get to see the moving city come and go with night and day, all while relaxing in the sunlight, unafraid of people seeing the way her skin glows.

"I thought I would find you here." Rune murmured as she took a place next to Renesmee on the bench beside her.

"You usually can." Renesmee replied with a soft smile as she leaned in closer so her shoulder rested solidly against Rune's, reaching her finger to run across the edge of the small black velvet in the older's hands. "What's in the box?"

"A gift." Rune answered, turning to face her and gently moving a piece of hair from Renesmee's face. "I know it's a lot, and if you're not ready for it, tell me, but I thought you should have it if you wanted."

And it was the closest to rambling Renesmee thought Rune was capable of, and felt a surge of fondness for the woman in front of her as she gently took the box and opened it.

A magnitude of complicated emotions swirled through the still young hybrid as she traced the contents of the box. Could she do this, could she leave her family behind with finality, could she pledge herself to another in this way. It didn't always mean this of course, but looking into Rune's blue eyes and catching sight of the particular emotion that neither of them had said but Renesmee had felt growing in her chest since Rune had returned for her, Renesmee was sure.

Taking the Volturi crest out of its box, she held the sturdy metal close to her chest for a moment before slipping it over her neck, letting it hang, visible and even more of a brand then the one she knew people saw when they looked at her.

It was a lot, maybe to much, but Renesmee could handle it, could handle anything with Rune by her side.

"Yes, always yes." Renesmee whispered, looking into the eyes of her beloved and watching her smile, sweet and pure and in that moment Renesmee had never been more sure that she had made the right decision in her whole life. Then, not a moment later, she made an even greater decision when she leaned forward and pressed their lips together in a kiss that had been long awaited for the past three thousand years.

AUTHORS NOTE

Aaaaaaaaah it's over ! It's been a wild ride and I hope you guys have enjoyed!