Twelve

We moved to a table, where he dumped all of the pieces onto the table, him and I flipping them to face upwards.

"I'm sorry I called security on you last night" he spoke, making me look to him.

"I'm sorry I didn't leave when you asked" I responded.

We started putting pieces together in silence.

"What's my name?" I asked, looking to him.

His eyes met my own, silence coming from him.

"I- I don't-" "it's Holland" I mumbled.

"I like that" he spoke slowly.

"You picked it- mom wanted to name me Brianna but you insisted that I looked like a Holland" I spoke, watching a smile come to his face.

"You do look like a Holland" he smiled out, making me smile also.

"Can we talk about Jessica?" He asked, making me slowly nod.

"Was she happy?" He asked.

"Yeah" I didn't hesitate.

I looked up from the puzzle

"You took us to Hawaii when we found out she was dying, it was her dream. She had so much fun, we all did." I smiled at the memories

"We swam with turtles, we drank coconut water, we made sandcastles- mom got a tattoo" I laughed lightly at the memory of picking my moms tattoo for her.

The smallest butterfly on her wrist.

"Two days after we got back she passed away in the hospital down the street from our house" I spoke, looking away from him.

"How long ago was this?" He asked.

"Five years ago- it'll be six in two weeks" I mumbled, seeing him nod.

"She loved me?" He asked, looking away from me.

I felt my eyes water

"With all of her heart." I confirmed with a nod

"I remember praying to find someone that loved me as much as mom loved you" I spoke.

"We buried her-" "no, she wanted to be cremated, we brought her ashes to Hawaii, it was her wish" I spoke, seeing him slowly nod.

"Where do we live?" He asked.

"A house on Irvine Street, you and mom bought it as soon as she told you she was pregnant with me" I told him, seeing him nod.

"Maybe when we go there- I'll remember some more" he spoke as I placed a few more pieces together.

I didn't have any hope.

"Maybe" I exhaled.

"Let's talk about you" he mumbled.

"What do you like?" He asked.

I shrugged
"I like soccer, I play the piano, I'm in music classes- you loved going and watching the schools performances" I smiled at the memories of him hugging me as soon as I walked off stage- telling me how good I did.

"You liked watching our school plays more though" I finished.

"You sing" he pointed out, making my head shoot up to him.

He tapped his fingers on the table, his eyes staring as an expression took over his face.

"Over the Rainbow" he spoke

I instantly broke down crying.

"W-why are you crying" he spoke, flustered.

"Do you know the significance of that song?" I cried out, praying that he could remember.

"No" he spoke slowly

"Mom asked me to sing that to her before she passed"