Forty-Five

Luke.

I went straight to his room, police guarded the door, nurses in the room with him.

I entered, seeing that he was alert, a smile immediately popping onto his face.

"Doctor Hemmings" he spoke swiftly, a smile never leaving his face as I pulled his chart, reading it.

Still dehydrated
Refusing to eat
Close to the point of going through withdrawals

"Where's my daughter?" He asked me.

"She's safe, no need to worry about her." I spoke.

"But you need to eat." I spoke sternly.

"I'm not eating until I can speak to my daughter." He spoke firmly, making me raise my eyebrows to him.

"I just want to say my goodbyes, I know it'll be forever until I see her again." He spoke.

"I guess you just won't be eating today." I spoke, sending him a polite smile before leaving the room.

He'd eat eventually.

But he wasn't going to see her again unless we absolutely had to make that happen.

I took care of patients all day, and right before I went to go get Holland for lunch, I was paged to her dads room.

I went in, prepared for everything

A nurse held a spoon to his mouth, which he was refusing like a three year old.

"He's getting muscle spasms, he'll be going into withdrawals in no time, he needs to eat before he does." The nurse spoke to me.

"Eat your damn food." I spoke to the man, seeing him grinning.

"Bring me my damn daughter." He spat back.

I was going to tell her, and give her an option whether she wanted to come or not.

But might as well try and scare him into eating

"He can starve, he's not going to die because he has an IV." I spoke straight to the nurse before turning and leaving the room.

I went to my office, unlocking the door and entering, seeing Holland awake, on her phone.

"How long have you been awake?" I asked her.

"About an hour" she spoke quietly.

"So let's talk before we go get lunch." I exhaled, sitting beside her.

"Your dad is still here and he's refusing to eat unless he can see you." I spoke slowly.

"But if you don't want to see him, he won't die without eating. He has an IV in that gives him proper nutrients, and if this goes on long enough, they'll force him to get a feeding tube up his nose that delivers food to the stomach." I told her slowly.

"Let's just go see him, he can't say anything he already hasn't," she told me slowly.

"Okay" I exhaled, standing with her.

She held my arm the whole walk and I led her into the room.

"Holland!" Her dad smiled.

"It's good to see you." He spoke, and she stayed silent.

"I just wanted to say my goodbyes, because I'm sure I'll be in jail a few years, because you told these doctors that I'm mean to you- which isn't completely true," he laughed out.

Don't say anything

Do not say anything.

Holland didn't respond.

"But you'll regret this- as soon as I'm gone, they're going to throw you into a foster home and you'll be all alone for three years." He spoke, making me grab her.

"That's enough false information." I spoke to him.

"Do you have anything to say?" I asked Holland, making eye contact with her for one second before she looked back to him.

"I have bruises on my neck for a reason- you were mean." She spoke sternly.

"And I just want you to know that mom would fucking hate the human being you turned into."