Forty-Three

I woke up to my phone ringing, making me immediately get up and leave the room with it, trying not to wake Holland.

It was five in the morning, she had only gotten about two hours of sleep.

"Hello?" I tiredly asked.

"Doctor Hemmings, this is officer McAllen, sorry to wake you," the familiar female voice spoke into the phone.

"No need to apologize- I'm happy to get news." I spoke.

"Well, we have her father in our custody, we're currently in the hospital getting blood work, but the doctors on shift are sure that he's on some sort of drug. He's very aggressive, even hitting and swinging towards us, make sure Holland doesn't have anymore bruises she isn't telling us about, because it would not surprise me, send me pictures and a description if there is some." She spoke to me.

"Okay- I'll talk to her and check. You'll call me back with his bloodwork?" I asked.

"Yes sir, I'll keep you updated every step of the way."

"Thank you so much" I spoke to her.

"It's no problem at all."

I went back into the bedroom, plugging my phone in again before climbing into bed, feeling Holland scooting closer, which made me turn to her.

She cuddled herself into my chest, her eyes never opening.

I held her gently, closing my eyes as I exhaled.

I wish you would've told me sooner.

I woke up an hour later to my phone ringing again.

I ran out the room yet again.

"Hello" I spoke, trying my hardest to sound awake.

"Doctor Hemmings, the bloodwork is not good." Her voice spoke immediately.

"It's confirmed that he's on eight different drugs, one being bath salts, he's severally dehydrated and malnourished." She spoke to me.

"Who's treating him?" I asked her.

"Doctor Moran." She spoke to me.

"Tell him not to discharge her dad for a few days, three at most. He needs time to hydrate and get clean before he goes into a federal prison." I spoke.

"Yes sir, I agree" she spoke.

"Thank you, for all of this." I told her.

"You don't have to thank me, I'm just glad that Holland is okay."

That makes two of us