Forty-Two

She started crying again.

So we comforted her, we listened to her begging us to not call the police as we called the police.

"I can not be the reason my dad goes to jail, Luke" she almost sobbed out to me.

"Holland, you're not the reason he's going to go to jail." I told her firmly.

"Your dads actions are the reason he's going to jail." I finished, hugging her tightly.

"I just want to go to bed." She cried, letting me pull her into my lap, pushing her head into my neck.

"Take a nap, I'll wake you up when the police get here, you'll talk to them about what's been going on and then I'll take you home."

She agreed.

She relaxed into my chest, Michael sitting beside us, leaning his head onto her back as I held her tightly.

All three of us exhausted.

About thirty minutes later, police arrived and Michael gave them a brief description of what we knew as I woke her up.

"Just tell them everything" I mumbled to her as they completely entered the room, the two men letting one woman step up to talk to her.

"So your dads been drinking regularly?" She asked slowly.

Holland nodded immediately.

"And he gets mean when he drinks?" She asked.

"Yeah" Holland intertwined my hand with her own.

"And these bruises on your neck are from when?" She asked.

"Like three hours ago." She spoke slowly, making the woman nod.

She took pictures of her neck and wrote down what Holland said before standing.

"we're going to get your dad and test him here to see if there's any drugs in his system or just alcohol. You're going to go home with these guys and relax until we call with some news." She spoke to Holland.

"One more thing" Holland mumbled, making everyone look to her.

"He's for sure on Xanax and Prozac, because that's my medicines- and he took them." She spoke, not looking directly to anyone.

"Thank you for telling us that." The woman spoke.

"We'll call you in about two hours." She spoke, nodding to us.

And we left with Holland, bringing her home.

"Nap time." I spoke as we walked through the doors.

Holland followed me to my room, where she sat on my bed as I changed in the bathroom.

"Can we watch a movie?" I heard her speak lowly, telling me she wasn't talking to me.

"Of course" I heard Michael speak.

Within minutes I heard a Disney movie starting, making me open the door, seeing Michael and Holland in my bed, cuddled up and focused to the screen.

I crawled right in with them, focusing to Moana.

I could imagine other things I could do at two in the morning on a Thursday, but I would rather be here

With Holland

Knowing shes safe.