"What It's Like To Be Julian" by Julian "Frankenstein" Horan

On the way home from school, Daddy said he met a new friend named Zayn. Daddy said that Zayn was nice and asked if he could see him again. When I was playing with Jack, my most favourite stuffed animal in the WHOLE world, Daddy asked if I made any new friends today. I said 'yes', even though I didn't because I know that Daddy gets happy when I make friends. He says it's because I'm shy, which means that I don't like meeting new people and talking to them.

When we got home, Daddy asked what happened at school today and I said I forgot, even though I remember everything that happened, and then Daddy said that I had to take a shower because Zayn was gonna eat dinner with us. I asked Daddy if he Zayn was gonna eat my Mac 'n' Cheese, but he said no because Zayn is lachtose-intolerant or somethin', which means that he can't drink milk, and that you have to put milk in Mac 'n' Cheese to make it taste good.

-

After I finished having my shower, Daddy helped me get dressed in my nice clothes, which are the ones that I wear when Grandma takes me to church. Daddy stood up when the doorbell rang and told me that Zayn was here and told me another thing, which was to follow him.

When Daddy opened the door, he hugged this real tall man with black hair and lots of drawing with colours on his arms and the tall man smiled and called my Daddy by his real name, which is Niall, and hugged him back. And then Daddy called me by my real name, which is Julian, and not what I liked to be called, which is Frankenstein, and told me that the tall man was Zayn. I just waved and hid behind Daddy's legs. Then Zayn took out some flowers from behind his back and made Daddy smile. I decided right then that Zayn was OK, he made Daddy smile, and I like it when Daddy smiles. And then Daddy asked me to take out the silverware and set them on the table, because he knows that the cabinets with the plates and cups are too high for me to reach.

When I was eating my turkey - Daddy said that Zayn was allergic to pork chops - Zayn asked if I liked to draw. (I think Daddy showed him my pictures that I drew at school.)

"He loves to draw." Daddy said. "He doesn't get it from me though. Mt ex-husband loved to draw." I don't like to talk about father, and I know Daddy doesn't like to either. It makes me very mad when people say mean things to my Daddy and make him cry (like Father did). That's why I like Zayn. I also like cos' at dinner he made Daddy laugh hard, harder than he does when I tell him my best knock-knock jokes, but I don't mind because Daddy doesn't laugh or even smile a whole lot anymore.

I remember Daddy teaching me how to tell the time on our clock and I see that the short hand is on the eight and the big hand is on the twelve. 8:00! Daddy looks up at the clock too and says that it's almost bedtime. I know it's not okay to whine, 'specially cos' Zayn's here, so all I do is frown a little. But all of a sudden a great idea comes to my brain! 

"Can Zayn read me a story?" I ask. Zayn smiles and looks at Daddy, and then Daddy says "It's up tp him!"

Zayn nods his head yes. My story is a long one, so I help Daddy and Zayn clean up and then I take Zayn up to my room and pick out a big book about a princess with long hair that is stck in a tower.

"You can look at it now to make sure you get all the voices right because I have to get my pajamas on before Daddy gets mad." I say. I pick out my footie pajamas with Babar the Elephant on them because they're my favorite and then I go to my Daddy's room to put them on. When I come back, Daddy and Zayn are sitting close together on my bed and I think that they are holding hands. I sat between them, but then i sat down on Zayn's lap because I wanted to see the pictures better.

I know Daddy is wondering why I picked out another book about a princess, so I say: "I like princesses. I want to go to Disneyworld someday so that I can meet the princesses there."