18

The quietness of the house was almost unbearable that night. It crept into Niall's bones, tugging at his heart and swarming his mind with emotion. He was physically breaking; he was beyond the point of repair. Niall tossed and turned under his blankets, never venturing to the other side of the mattress, only looking at what used to be His. He got up, not paying any attention to the familiar sound of a car engine being shut off as he made his way to the kitchen for tea. The car's lights flickered out in his driveway, making the road go dark except for the streetlights. Niall stopped in the middle of the kitchen, staring around at what used to be a happy house full of memories of a once happy family.

I got a heart and I got a soul

Believe me I wanna use them both

We made a start but a false one, I know

Baby I don't wanna feel alone

The sound of a knock on the front door disrupted the silence; something Niall was almost thankful for since it was practically suffocating him.

He knew who it was.

At once, tears began to fall freely down his face. Niall placed his hand on the doorknob and tried to prepare himself as he opened the door.

-

There he was, standing in the pouring rain, his beautiful, dark eyes puffy and slightly bloodshot and his perfect cheeks covered in tear tracks. He didn't speak, as his expression said everything.

"Well, c'mon, then. Get inside before you catch a cold." Niall meant to sound hostile, but it just came out heartbroken.

So kiss me where I lay down

My hands pressed to your cheeks

A long way from the playground 

"Niall." Zayn's voice was shaky and scratchy; it sounded as if he hadn't talked since they last saw each other, which was well over a month ago. He stepped inside and closed the door behind him, never once taking his eyes off his husband.

"I'll get you some warmer clothes, then. D'you want tea?" Zayn couldn't help but notice that he still had his wedding band on, except it wasn't around his finger; it was on a chain around his neck.

I have loved you since we were eighteen

Long before we both thought the same thing

To be loved and be in love

All i can do is say these arms were made for holding you

I wanna love like you made me feel

When we were eighteen

"Niall. I want to talk." Niall stopped in his tracks as he turned around. "I Love You, okay? I remember back in March when all you wanted me to do was to listen. And I didn't. You wanted me to fight for us. And I didn't. Niall, I Love You, and when -no, if- we get that divorce, I have to let you go. I'm not ready to let go. Niall," he continued "we were married for almost fifteen years. It was hard, yeah, but those years were the best fifteen years of my life. I Love You. I Love our children. I'm going to fight to save our marriage. I'm going to fight for our love. I'm going to fight for you."