Chapter 4.4 | Fools

Wellston Turf War grounds

Arlo PoV

That queen is so full of herself. I was taken aback by her attitude towards the ravenette behind me.

I almost don't pity her for the beating she's about to receive.

“So, Broven,” I began proudly, “Shall we begin?”

Broven nodded solemnly, “As you wish.”

Crossing my arms, I asked, “One on one or-”

“One on one!”, Broven interrupted, looking quite panicked.

“Very well.”

I looked towards Elaine expectantly, the bluette rushed forward and announced the beginning of the Turf War, “Jacks, take your positions!” Excitedly, I strode closer to my opponent, the grey-haired girl. Rein. I saw absolute terror fill her eyes as she stood across from me, petrified. I stifled a malicious laugh, however a cruel smirk contorted my lips anyway.

Suddenly, I felt a firm grip on my arm. “Arlo, let me have my fun.”, said the pinkette. I was dumbfounded. What is wrong with you?!

“Come on Arlo, if we start with you I won’t get a go.”, she tilted her head, making a puppy dog face. It was such a ‘Remi’ thing to do, yet right now there was a cold and sinister aura around her usual innocence. Still speechless, I nodded and stood by with John and Seraphina. John both were taken aback by Remi’s actions, even the ravenette. So it’s not just me being paranoid.

“W-well, Wellston’s queen vs Agwin’s jack… b-begin!”, Elaine choked out, finally.

That lovable failure

Elaine scuttled over to our group and we watched the match, in horror. The once peaceful shrimp was not holding back a bit! Before we knew it, Remi had already thrown multiple bolts at Rein. We quickly learned that the grayhead’s spider legs didn’t shield her from electricity. Ouch.

Agwin’s jack fell to her knees, but the queen sprinted at her, summoning a storm of current between her palms. Seconds before Rein’s head was to be enclosed by the pinkett's zapping hands, Broven called out, “Stop!! It’s your win.”, he spoke in a defeated tone.

Their healer ran over and hauled the shaken girl back to their group. Whereas Remi, turned back to us and waved, grinning eagerly. Sera’s eyes were wide, John gave the victor an awkward, uncomfortable thumbs up, Elaine just waved back, her hand quivering. While I let my jaw drop. What just happened? She was about to mercilessly pull an extremely dangerous move (for the opposition of course) and she just brushes it off?! The only person I’ve ever considered this careless is- I glanced over at the ravenette who was whispering something to his best friend.

What is Remi thinking?! Could she be trying to get on John’s goodside? Or is there something more?-

“We don’t have all day, you know!”, Agwin’s queen hollered at Remi, crossing her arms in annoyance, “Let’s get this over with.”

Remi turned on her heel to face this, cocky girl. Running back in between the two queens, Elaine called, “Wellston’s queen vs Agwin’s queen, begin!” and bolted back to my side. I resisted the urge to wrap her in a comforting embrace, and closely watched the fight.

Pinky went for a similar strategy like before. Yet, Evelynn was much faster. She was able to outrun Remi’s bolts. A gasp escaped my lips as the redhead elbowed our queen in the head, sending the pinkette to the ground. Remi looked out of it, but she turned onto her back and shot at the taller girl one again. She missed. Evelynn prepared to give a final blow, raising her leg high over our shrimp.