Chapter 9 | Hero

Readjustment Facility

Sera PoV

"Oooh- he's starting to shake!"

"If Keon was about to 'educate' me, I'd be scared too!"

"What's this kid's name? Remind me."

"John. He's been here before, you know."

"Seriously?! That's a bruh-moment."

"You can say that again."

I sat by the glass and watched John tremble as he waited. He was handcuffed to the table and rested his face on the cinder block that encased his wrists. He looked so helpless, hopeless even. 

These lowlifes kept mocking him. Calling him weak, scared, a disappointment. "Is that supposed to be our secret weapon?", they'd say, " He's too delicate. " 

What kind of doofus says something like that?! John could literally obliterate all of you at once!

But they already knew that. That's why he was in a separate cell, isolated and contained by heavy-duty tech and mechanisms, while they just tied my hands to my chair and sat me beside themselves. They know I'm no threat. All I could do was sit and watch.

"Guys! The Man, himself, has made his entrance!", a man with purple eyes called to the others. They all clapped and cheered, but with a hint of sarcasm and exaggeration.

The group of four and myself turned our focus to the man walking towards John. Keon had a stern expression. He definitely meant business. It looked like he said something to the boy but John just stared at him, petrified. 

" Crap! Where's the button for audio?", said the man from before.

A woman with a pixie cut slapped on the side of a small speaker, in front of the purple-eyed man. "Right here, dumbass!"

As soon as she did so a static buzz sounded from the dusty speaker. But I could just make out the dialogue between the people in the other room. 

"...have to take a more extreme course of action with you.", said Keon

" W-where's Sera?"

I stifled a quiet sob. Why is it that in moments that your life hangs in the balance, you always think of me instead? 

"Safe. But she should be the least of your concerns right now."

What's he going to do?!

"What are you going to do? Kill me?", John asked, almost reading my mind.

"That would ... a waste. It’s not a …. fault …. its shell is broken.”

“What …. you talking …...?”

" The hell?! Wtf did you do this time Jared?! ", whined the woman.

"Wha-nothing! I swear!", said purple-eyes, fidgeting with the broken speaker.

"You always fu*k everything up!"

"Patricia!! ", yelled Jered at the woman.

A different man. With blue hair suddenly turned to me and sighed, " Look, I'm sorry about those two. They're always like this. Just try to ignore them."

He turned back to face the glass and I did the same, trying my best to figure out what was happening. John looked to be in deep thought, staring at the table and letting his black bangs cover his eyes. 

After a couple of moments, he took a deep breath and nodded, saying something that I couldn't decipher. Keon also nodded, saying something along the lines of 'very well'.