Chapter 7.5 | Change

Wellston Girl’s dormitory

Sera PoV

Straightening her posture, Elaine stepped forward “I thought you’d be hanging out with John.”, she said.

“Well.”, I shrugged, “You thought wrong.”

Cocking my head to the side, I looked at the flustered pair. I couldn’t help but tease. “So, what’s Arlo doing up here? “, I asked innocently, “With you. Alone.”

“We were just-”, she struggled to find the words, “we were-”

“Studying.”, the man-of-the-hour interjected.

Elaine nodded vigorously, “Y-yes, Studying.”

“Each other's tonsils?”, I mocked

They both stood in a cold sweat. Arlo placed his hand on her waist, pulling her close to his chest. While Elaine stiffly scooted to him, looking like she had just seen a ghost. She was still smiling though. Absolute comedy.

“Maybe, maybe not.”, the boy said as-a-matter-of-factly, “Who’s to say?”

I erupted with laughter.

“Arlo!”, Elaine punched his arm, “Why would you say something like that?!”

“Number 1, it’s true.”, he pointed out, unfazed by her weak attack, “Number 2, it was fun to see your reaction.”

They began to bicker, Elaine didn't enjoy his sense of humour, obviously. But he didn’t seem to care much and it soon turned into a playful who-knows-what. I don’t have the stomach for this.

“Alright!”, I yelled raising my arms above my head, desperately trying to get their attention, “Evie and I are gonna head out!”, I pointed to the door and started walking.

The couple paused and eyed each other nervously before looking back to me, “There was someone here?!”, asked Arlo.

“Yep.” assured Evie, saluting the unnerved boy as she passed.

We left and quickly shut the door, bursting out with laughter immediately.
“Their faces!”, she wheezed.

“Priceless!”

Slowly but surely we made our way out of the building and towards town. I took Evie to WobaBoba since she was clearly uncultured and had never been before. As we sat there and talked about random, useless garbage (as you do), we steered into a conversation about what I would do if I could get my powers back. 

Looking around the crowded cafe,“Lean closer.”, I whispered. She did as I asked. “I think i would become a vigilante or ‘superhero’.”

Evie gasped, “Really?!”

I nodded, “Now, I understand it would be a good use of my strength.”, I looked down somberly, “I remember, once, John told me about how much he admired them and he would be one too if he could.”

“Wait, then why isn’t he a superhero?”

“He said that he doesn’t trust himself enough, that’ he’d go overboard as usual.”

She sipped her tea, seemingly in deep contemplation. Suddenly, she burst out, “Woah! Imagine if you and John were a superhero duo! You’d be totally kick-ass!!!”

“I  guess that’s true.”, I sighed, “Too bad we’ll never know, though.”

“Never say ‘never’!”,she chuckled trying to comfort me. 

The next day

Wellston Private Highschool- Walik Hall 
8:15 am

John PoV