Chapter 9

“I can still see it.” Ji-Sun said with laughter in her tone.

“There’s no helping it.” I sighed as I stared at myself in the mirror. The red skin could still be seen through the lace around my neck. “I have to make it as inconspicuous as possible and this is what works with the outfit.”

It was the day of the soiree and Mickey hadn’t seen me since the night he marked me. That didn’t matter though since I was reminded of him every time I saw a reflection of myself. Mickey’s mark from his bite was still prominent against my skin and it was hard to ignore, especially in the strapless dress.

A werewolf’s ritual of claiming usually involved biting and marking someone with their teeth. Even after the bite had long faded though, the presence and scent of the werewolf would stay with the person they bit for a long time.

There was no need to be so rough about it like Mickey had been though. The best I could do was cover it—though that wouldn’t do anything to hide his scent and presence on me during the soiree.

My friends were all shocked from the mark, but their shock soon turned into amusement. The only one who couldn’t understand the situation was Blair who remained angered at the fact that a werewolf had been with me late in the night.

“You can go get ready.” I said as I took one last glance at myself in the mirror. Ji-Sun had delayed her preparations to further mine. She tied my hair up into a bun that had a few curled tendrils loose and even applied light makeup. “I can go on by myself from here.”

Ji-Sun nodded. “See you later then.”

She exited my bedroom and shut the door behind her. I released a sigh and quickly stomped over to the doors that led to my balcony and swung them open. Directly facing me was Mickey, leaning casually against the balcony rail with his ankles crossed and his hands in his pockets.

He was wearing casual attire—jeans and a black tee that I could faintly see his muscles ripple under.

Mickey eyed me up and down as well and I saw the appreciative look. But instead of commenting me on my appearance, the first words he spoke was,

“Miss me?”

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at his cockiness.

“Shouldn’t you get ready for the soiree?”

“I will. I just wanted the honors of seeing you first. And may I say you look beautiful tonight.”

His smooth compliment only earned a sneer from me. I could tell he threw those compliments like someone would throw bread crumbs to pigeons. I wasn’t willing to be fed from his hands though and simply shrugged off his sweet words.

“Thank you. Now leave. Anyone could walk through my bedroom door any moment now and it wouldn’t look good for you to be caught secretly meeting your alpha’s fiancée.”

Mickey wasn’t afraid of the threat leaned his elbows on the railing as he took another look at me.

“This soiree is supposed to be your engagement announcement, and yet you’re wearing a dress that will seduce other men but your fiancé.” Mickey chuckled. “How tempting of you, Lydia.”

“I didn’t choose the dress.”

“But you chose to wear it.” he countered before pushing himself off the rail.

As he made his way to me, I held my ground. The closer he approached, the more I had to tilt my head back to keep eye contact. He stood directly in front of me and I jolted when I felt his fingers brush my thigh.