Chapter 28

The soiree was under way. Gathered in the ballroom were all the vampires in the Vincente, and the night started off with a toast from my father and mother for their temporary return. During their speeches, I saw a few vampires with tears in their eyes, happy to see their previous leaders doing well and the same as before. I couldn't help but smile at the heart-warming sight.

To my surprise, when nearly an hour had passed, the main doors opened and I saw familiar faces enter—Giovanni, along with a few of his werewolves. I immediately glanced at the vampires, but not a single one was as shocked as me to see the members of the Hidden Moon Pack. When I asked Ji-Sun why this was so, she surprised me even further.

"Didn't you know? Of course the werewolves were invited. They're technically family now."

I gawked. "Since when?"

"Well," she started, amused at my stunned expression. "Not only is one of them your blood mate, but we fought side-by-side in a territorial war and won. No matter the rivalry between us, we're also allies now."

"You wouldn't know because you left immediately after we defeated the Virile Moon Pack," Abraham explained.

"Ah," I said, comprehending the situation.

But at the sight of the werewolves as they descended the stairs, I felt something was off. It was only when I took in the face of every single werewolf that I realized what it was.

"Mickey's not here."

None of my friends spoke, but I did see the glances they shared from the corner of my eye. I tried to keep a serene face, but it was hard to when my blood mate—a werewolf who definitely had an invitation to the soiree tonight—did not arrive with the rest of the werewolves.

"He's still mad," I muttered under my breath.

"And now it's probably obvious you two had an argument if he's not here," Abraham murmured.

"Does it matter?" Blair said. "He would ruin the mood anyway. Everywhere he goes, he causes trouble."

Zachariah looked down at Blair with blank eyes. "You don't like that the rescued females fawn over Mickey. Including—"

Blair yipped and slapped a hand over Zachariah's mouth. The older vampire did not react and simply continued to stare at Blair with the same eyes. Knowing Zachariah, he wasn't doing it on purpose. He was simply stating a fact.

Abraham, always looking for an opportunity to tease Blair, joined into the conversation. "Oh? Who? Who?"

"No one!" Blair shouted.

As the three continued to bicker, the werewolves greeted Xander and Privanna. My parents were also unfazed at their presence and even seemed to easily warm up to Giovanni and his wolves. Eventually, the werewolves made their way to me. Giovanni greeted me with a smile and I returned the gesture.

"How are you, Lydia?"

"Could be better," I said flatly. "Where is he?"

Giovanni didn't need to ask who I referred to. "We waited for him. When he didn't show, we went searching. That's why we're late, to be honest. But in the end, we couldn't find him."

"Typical," I murmured under my breath. "Did he tell you about...us?"

He nodded. "Everything."

The others sensed our somber air and dispersed, leaving me and Gio to speak on our own. He and I made our way through the crowd and settled in a secluded alcove where we could speak without others hearing. Of course, we earned curious glances, but the Vincente members understood the situation and left us of their own accord.