Chapter 24

I watched Mickey's expression change from shock, to hesitation, to deliberation, to determination—all in a split second. I would've been amused had Mickey not lowered his stance on the bed and press a kiss to my knee. And he didn't stop there. He began to slowly run his lips down my leg, his breath sending shivers up my spine. All the while, he watched me, just as I watched him.

He didn't look like a man who was begging. He looked like a man worshipping a queen.

I bit my bottom lip, bidding myself to stay quiet. In truth, I wanted to collapse onto the bed and let him have his way with me, right at this moment. But I was trying to prove a point. We were both trying to prove a point.

How many times had I admitted my love for him? How many times had I thrown away my pride, just to get it through his head? No matter what, he always seemed to be wearing that annoyingly calm mask. All because he didn't want to reveal the truth. What I had mistaken as purely possessiveness was more akin to love than I thought. The fact that he was reluctant—more like afraid—to admit it was also the proof I needed. It was easy to lie to get what we wanted, but Mickey refused to humor me. He even refused to acknowledge it, as if it wasn't even an option he had thought of.

Because I was his first. And it would stay that way.

Everything else felt so inconsequential now, now that he was at my feet, begging for my attention.

His soft lips both tickled and brought me pleasure, but when he parted them, and I felt his teeth nip the skin by my ankle, I reflexively swung out my leg. Mickey dodged the swift kick and wrapped a hand around my calf, holding me in place so he could continue the slow torture.

"Mickey." He saw the longing on my face, but refused to move from his spot.

"You told me to beg," he whispered.

"Are you?" I asked.

Mickey stared into my eyes, his gaze of longing just as fierce as mine. "I have never wanted someone, as much as I want you, Lydia."

I swallowed.

"Would you become mine?" He paused before releasing the next word in a breathless whisper. "Please."

The words rang true. And my answer was obvious. But I could not give it to him fast enough. Just as I parted my lips, we heard the undeniable click of the door being unlocked. We both turned to see a housekeeper slip through the door and pause at the sight of them on the bed. The older human woman blushed and gasped.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't think to—! I didn't meant to interrupt—!" She shut her mouth and took a deep calming breath. "I have a letter from the front desk! I'll just leave it here!" She placed a white envelope on the counter beneath the overhanging TV and scurried like a mouse.

I glanced at Mickey to see the hard line of his jaw straining to rip through his skin. Part of me wanted to continue; another part of me found the situation funny. The latter won. I chuckled at the situation and Mickey slowly turned to look at me once more. He did not share in my humor.

"Every. Damn. Time," he growled. "It seems like a practical joke from the worlds to interrupt us."

Even though I agreed, I also couldn't ignore the delivered note. I teleported to the counter and picked up the paper. Mickey stood behind me as I opened and read the contents.

Xander is back. Come home.

~ Abraham

I didn't scent anything but humans from the paper and assumed Abraham somehow made contact with someone here to write and deliver the letter without suspicion.