Chapter 25

Mickey and I arrived in the room where my father and mother waited, along with my closest members, excluding Zachariah—no doubt away for an assignment from HELL. The moment all eyes laid on me and Mickey, conversation ceased. Of course, Mickey found no discomfort in being silently scrutinized by my parents, and calmly stood by my side.

My mother rose from her seat and embraced me. "My precious Lydia."

I wrapped my arms around her as well. "How are you, Mother?"

We pulled back just enough to see each other's faces. "Fine, dear." Then she turned to look at Mickey. "This must be the fiance of yours I've been hearing so much about."

"Mickey Myster," he introduced himself. "It is a pleasure to meet you. And may I say I am honored to be marrying Lydia.

The werewolf immediately impressed my mother with his smooth and polite demeanor, but my father remained stoic as he continued to watch us. However, I knew he held no stigmas toward Mickey simply because he was a werewolf. Xander was a Vincente, after all, so he knew about the unfounded rivalry between vampires and werewolves.

Privanna, my mother, said, "It seems my daughter has been matched with a fine werewolf."

He grinned, pleased at the compliment.

"I heard the Elders instigated this marriage."

"Yes." Mickey answered. "You missed the engagement soiree, but I hope you can attend the actual wedding."

"Which is...?" my mother prompted.

Mickey looked to me. "When should we have the wedding, dear?"

I didn't know how to feel about his overt affection. Part of me thought he was overplaying it for my parents' sake, but he could also just be teasing me.

Most likely the latter.

"The wedding's not the most important part," Abraham lightly mentioned. "The Elders want a child out of them."

My mother gasped. "A halfling? Why?"

I shook my head. "We're not sure. But it was one of the demands in the letter sent by the Elders."

"Letter?"

Ji-Sun went to retrieve the black parchment and handed it to my mother. She scanned the contents before handing it to my father, who wore a very different look. Not one of confusion—as my mother did—but one of realization.

"You two are mates?" Privanna said, shocked. "How is it possible the Elders knew?"

"They have two new spellcasters," Mickey explained before somberly adding, "They have the power to find mates."

"Fascinating," my mother said in awe.

"Then you two are mates? Truly?" Xander asked.

I stared at him, finding his tone of voice odd. My father had been mostly quiet during our reunion, but now I felt the strange intensity rolling from him like waves. He didn't sound pleased at the notion of me and Mickey being mates. But neither did he sound opposed to it. He sounded almost...dreadful.

"Father?" I said, feeling the hairs on the back of my neck stand.

He ignored me and directed his attention towards Mickey. "You two are mates? There is no mistake?"

Mickey also heard the tone in my father's voice, but he didn't hesitate. "There is no doubt in my mind or soul that Lydia is mine."

Xander's jaw clenched. "Then you two are doomed to be apart."

We tensed at my father's sudden words before Mickey said, "What do you mean?"

"Are you not the werewolf who advocates for the abolishment of the omega title?"

"I am," he proudly replied.

Xander narrowed his eyes. "Then how can you possibly marry Lydia without giving up your life's work? Unless you plan to stop and settle with her here."

I gaped at my father's words before turning to look at Mickey. He, too, wore a look of surprise. His lips were sealed into a tight line as he stared at my father with wide eyes.

We had been too occupied with our feelings. We didn't stop to think that there was more that could separate us. I thought Giovanni was the only one who had priorities to keep him apart from his mate, but it seemed I had taken his circumstances too lightly.

Xander shook his head, grimly aware we had not even realized our current reality. "She cannot abandon her duties just as much as you cannot abandon yours."