Chapter 8: Too Much

Jack's POV:

We walk in the front door, going to his room, where he throws himself on his bed, an emotional wreck. "I'm supposed to be dead right now. God damn it, Jack! Why can't you just let me do what I fucking want?" he asks.

"Lex, I'm not just going to let you die," I reply, my voice breaking as I say 'die.' I sit beside him, letting him hug me once more.

"Why did you leave me, Jack? Why would you do that to me?" he sobs. My heart physically feels like it broke as he said it, and I feel tears form in my eyes, but I blink them away.

"Now isn't the time for that. I'll explain it all later. I'm here now. I promise I'll never, ever hurt you like that again. You're my best friend, no matter what."

He presses himself harder against me, wrapping his arms around my waist. "I missed you so much. I'm barely even alive anymore."

"We're going to fix that," I assure him.

"Please don't switch up on me again after this. I won't be able to deal with it."

"I won't, I swear," I whisper as I run my hand through his hair. Fuck, he was perfect.

Alex's POV:

I felt safe again. I felt at home again. He hurt me so badly in the past and I shouldn't be trusting him like this, but I didn't care. Jack was here. My Jack was here, holding me close as I broke down.

"That's my sweatshirt, isn't it?" I ask eventually, seeing that he's wearing.

"Uh, I had it in my closet. It's the one I forgot to give back. I didn't really mean to put it on but it kinda happened one night and I've been wearing it since," he replies.

"Looks better on you anyway," I whisper. I didn't realize he heard me until I feel him smile. Why would he smile at that?

"Lex? Please talk to me. Tell me everything."

"It's too much, Jack," I whimper.

"We have all day," he assures me.

"No, you have hell to go to."

"Hell?"

"School, hell, same fucking thing."

"You're priority over that. We haven't talked in ages."

I sigh, pressing my forehead into his neck and wrapping my arms tighter around him. He rubs circles on my back, soothing me just like old times. Oh, what I'd give to go back to then.

"I love you, Lex," he whispers into my hair.

"I love you more, Jack," I reply. I know he means it platonically, but when I say it, it means slightly more. He'll never know...

"Can I change real quick?" I ask, to which he nods. I grab one of my sweatshirts and head to the bathroom to change shirts. I couldn't change in front of him, or he'd see the bruises. However, I notice the door wasn't fully closed. He's looking right at the bruises on my back and my ribs, so I quickly close the door.

He opens the door immediately after, fire in his eyes. "Alex, who the hell did that to you?"

"What d-do you mean J-Jack?"

"You heard me, Alex!"

"I, uh, you see, I fell." Lame. So, so lame.

"Alex Gaskarth, you are going to tell me who put their hands on you."

"I can't. It's not like you can do anything about it anyway!"

"Alex! Please tell me who-"

"It was my dad, okay?! Happy?!"

The silence that falls in the room is deafening.