Chapter 26: Every Storm That Comes Also Comes to an End

Jack's POV:

I squeeze Alex's hand one last time before we separate, since we're both to be questioned separately. I take a deep breath, relaxing slightly. It'll be okay, I promise.

"Mr. Jack Barakat? Is that you?" the lady asks. I nod. "Okay, I'm just going to ask a few questions, and I need you to answer all of them in as much detail as possible. Can you do that?" I nod again. "Okay, so, has your father shown any signs of being abusive before today?"

"No, not at all. My entire life I looked up to him before today," I say quietly.

"Why were you here instead of home? Did you run away?"

"No. Well, no. Alex told me we should get away for a weekend and I agreed."

"How old is Alex?"

"Fifteen, almost sixteen." She scribbles down something and then I realize it- Alex wasn't allowed to be driving yet. "Wait, don't write him up or anything. He had a good reason."

"There's no excuse for breaking the law."

"He did it for me," I say quietly. She looks up at me, confused. "My dad made this arrangement with him. My dad didn't want me to be gay, so when Alex and I got together, he didn't want to allow that. He told Alex that if he was around me at all, he'd hurt me. My dad blackmailed him into staying away. Neither of us listened since we've been best friends for years even before we dated. We had to sneak around to hang out, and the only way Alex and I could spend time together at all was by sneaking out during the a.m. or by getting away. It's not his fault. My dad influenced all of this."

She scratches her head, considering what I just said. She sighs, but looks up and smiles at me. "Valid reasoning; I'll figure out if your story matches Alex's and we'll see what we can do."

"Thank you," I say breathlessly. She walks off and I walk over to sit in the bed of Alex's truck, staring at my feet.

"I wish we could go back to just a few hours ago," a voice says. I look over to see Alex climbing in beside me.

"My thoughts exactly," I whisper.

"It'll be okay, baby, I promise," he murmurs in my ear, kissing my temple.

"I don't want to lose you or have anything bad happen to you. Driving out here was illegal!"

"Shh, I know, but it was worth it. Even now, it's still worth it because in the end, I have you." I look into his eyes and see raw emotion shining through them. For the first time tonight, he wasn't the strong one between the two of us. "After everything, I have you," he whispers, a tear falling from his eye.

I start to tear up as well, so I roughly pull him into a hug and we hold each other tight, giving each other strength. My shoulder is damp from his tears, but I don't mind because I'm doing the same to him. We're in this together.

"Mr. Gaskarth?" a voice says. We pull away from each other to see a police officer standing a few feet away.

"I love you," I murmur as he starts to get up.

"I love you too," he says back, giving me a small smile before jumping onto the grass. I wait for what seems like forever before he runs back, jumping into the truck and tackling me into a hug so I'm laying on my back with him on top of me.

"I'm not in trouble," he says cheerfully. "It all worked out and your dad is going to jail. We can be together now!"

I hug him tightly, uncontrollably laughing softly with relief. "We did it," I breathe.

"We did it," he repeats, kissing me gently.

"It's 1 a.m. now," I say as we pull apart.

"We should probably go home," Alex says.

"My house?"

"Definitely."

The cop cars pull away as we pack up the blankets, plopping down in the truck. We turn on some of Alex's music to keep us awake as we make the four-hour drive back home.

Alex's POV:

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," I say suddenly.

"It's okay, I see why you didn't," he assures me.

"I still should have," I reply, putting my hand on his leg.

"It doesn't matter now," he says, putting his hand over mine. I allow myself to smile as we continue down the road.

-=+=-

We pull up to his house to see that the lights are on inside. As soon as I turn the engine off and we get out of the truck, his mom rushes outside and pulls us both into a hug.

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry," she sobs. "I wish I would've known, I could have done something!"

"It's okay Mom," Jack assures her. We stand there for a few more moments before we go inside, up to Jack's room to finally attempt to get some sleep.

"Alex?" Jack asks after I close the door.

"Y-" I turn around right into Jack's lips as he pins me against the door. We fight for dominance, but I decide to give in for once. I jump up and wrap my legs around his waist, only being supported by the door behind me and his body in front of me.

"You're so light," Jack says as he pulls away from my lips, placing sloppy kisses down my jawline. "You need to eat, baby."

"I eat too much," I protest.

"No, you don't," he whispers. "You don't eat much of anything at all."

"Yes, I-" my breath catches in my throat as he finds the sweet spot on my neck. I curl my fingers into his hair and tighten my legs around his waist as he continues to suck on the skin there. He pulls at the hem of my shirt, trying to get it up, and I let him pull it over my head. I then put my feet back on the ground and flip us around so Jack is against the door. I reach over and lock it as I kiss all over his neck, smiling when he pulls me closer to him. I pull his shirt off, letting a soft moan escape my mouth as he skims his hand over my crotch.

"H-how far do y-you want to go," Jack says breathlessly.

"Not too far, I'm n-not comfortable enough yet," I reply.

"Okay," he replies. I push him from the door over to his bed, climbing on top of him to connect our lips once more. We continue kissing for ten minutes before he pushes me off of him, gasping for air.

"You're such a tease," he says hoarsely.

"I'm sorry," I reply.

"It's okay, babe, it's not your fault." He kicks off his jeans and climbs into bed, and I repeat the action. I curl into him, kissing his collarbone softly.

"I'm so in love with you, I'm sorry for not saying it sooner," I whisper against his skin.

"Don't apologize," he whispers back, playing with my hair. "I love you too, Lex."