nine

Leo

Leo

The only reason I agreed to visit the burger joint with Aria is that it's on the bucket list. According to Mom, this was one of Dad's favourite places to eat when they were teenagers. I'm also supposed to order the California chicken burger because it's supposed to be delicious, as well as the vanilla milkshake and deep-fried pickles. Ever since work ended, I've been subtly texting Mom while Aria continues to make small talk. I feel like a jerk for directing ignorance towards Aria, but I need to get some answers from Mom without making her question what exactly my purpose in Whistler is. And it's worked so far. I simply told her - 

"So," Aria says as we step into the air-conditioned building. "Who have you been texting this whole time?"

I stuff my phone in my pocket, feeling sheepish. It's a little hard to in a subtle manner when you have to hit the number two or three times to get the letter you want. "My mom," I admit. "I'm sorry. I know I was being rude."

Aria waves it off. "I know how moms can be. They just want to know if their babies are okay. So believe me when I say it's not a big deal. I do, however, appreciate how you were at least trying to listen to me while you texted. Most people who attempt to multitask usually have their full attention focused on their phone."

I don't point out that she's contradicted herself. If someone is multitasking, then their attention is split evenly between two tasks, not focused on one in particular. So, instead of correcting her, I focus on her words. The emphasis she adds in her sentence causes me to snort. That, and the fact that she doesn't even need to explain what she's on about. Moms, despite the ages of their children, always want to make sure they're alive and well. It's just in their nature.

"Yeah," I reply, running a hand through my hair. "That's exactly what my mom is like. I wouldn't be surprised if she showed up here for the summer just to see me."

Aria smiles to herself, and then quickly tells the hostess that we need a table for two. I can tell the hostess is a little shocked at the fact that Aria Madden is standing in front of her, but I give her props for maintaining her composure and not fainting or breaking down and asking for an autograph. "I think it's cute," she says, turning to me while the hostess momentarily leaves to make sure there's a table for us. "That your mom would come across the country to see you."

I frown slightly. "Wouldn't your parents do the same?"

"It's hard to say," Aria admits. "My family and I are close, yes, but Jax is the baby of the family. I think my parents feel as though they've taught me everything they already know, and that I'm ready to face the world on my own. Jax, on the other hand, is just stepping into the major hockey world. It's going to be his first season with a major team, so I don't mind that my parents are allocating their support in a different direction. I can handle the pressure."

Something in the way Aria's voice changes pitch as she speaks tells me she's lying to me, but I don't press for further explanation. Clearly, she's lying for a personal reason. She's entitled to keep that very reason to herself.