twenty-eight

Leo

Leo

An hour and a half later, when the conservation officer is finished grilling me with questions, I'm sitting in his office and waiting for answers. I thought for sure I was going to be turned over to the police detachment when he was finished, but he told me to stay here and be patient while he makes some calls. It's been about half an hour since he left me here with a stale bagel and a glass of water. I've downed the water, but haven't touched the bagel. I'm not hungry. I'm too busy wondering if Aria made it back okay and what the hell my fate is going to be in this mess.

I lean back in my uncomfortable chair, groaning as I tug at my hair. This is getting ridiculous. I know I trespassed, but it's not like I vandalized anything or did damage to the environment. Aria and I wanted to enjoy the day together. We're the type of people that would leave an area cleaner than it was when we arrived. I'm also beginning to feel claustrophobic in this tiny office with only a lame-excuse for a window adjacent to me. Aria would hate this place, too.

Speaking of Aria, the fact that I don't have access to my phone to text her and make sure she got back okay is driving me nuts. But I've had to keep my worry about her under the conservation officer's radar. I don't want to raise his suspicions and end up boycotting the whole plan to keep Aria's reputation untainted. I just hope she's okay and that she made it back. I also hope my situation isn't worrying her too much. 

Finally, after ten more minutes of staring at the not-so-intricate designs of the ceiling, the door opens and the conservation officer steps in. He's dressed in much more casual clothing, signalling that he's off his shift. He's also holding my backpack. "Your ride is here," he says. "You're free to go."

I get to my feet, but not too quickly. I don't want to appear anxious. Making eye contact with him, still trying to fit the pieces together regarding why he looks so familiar, I take my backpack from him and settle the straps over my shoulders. It's calming, to have my belongings back. Almost as calming as it is to know that as soon as I'm out of here, I'll be able to contact Aria. 

However, despite all my thoughts, I still have to ask: "You're just letting me go?"

The conservation officer stares at me, just stares at me, before motioning to follow him. I do, suppressing an eye roll. After all that questioning and sitting in his office, I thought I'd be getting some type of punishment. It's what I was expecting and, to be honest, I kind of want to throttle him for wasting a good chunk of my day. 

At the end of the hallway, he holds the door open for me and I step into the waiting room. Mom instantly sees me and she rushes over to me, pulling me into her arms. "Leo!" she exclaims. "Oh my God, if I had known the area had been fenced off, I wouldn't have told you where to go. This is all my fault." She reaches up and cups my face, searching my eyes for answers. "Are you okay? You didn't get hurt?"

I rest one hand atop my mom's wrist. "Mom," I smile. "I'm okay. Don't worry." I lower my voice. "Did Aria make it back?"

I'm a little worried that Mom is going to speak loud enough for the conservation officer to hear, but she clues in and gives my shoulder a squeeze. "She's fine," she replies, her voice as low as mine. "I told her to go home and that you'd give her a call."