twenty-six

Aria

Aria

On Saturday, I drive up to Leo's place after work. Just like he said it would be, it's stifling hot and the sky is crystal clear, making it perfect for our hike today. I don't know how hard this hike is or where we're going exactly, but I'm looking forward to it. It's been a while since Leo and I went hiking. I know I'm probably going to be doing the majority of the talking, as usual, but I don't mind. Leo seems to enjoy it. At least, I think he does. I think he likes having someone that continues on the conversation when he's got nothing more to add. 

At the front door, I knock several times before I decide to let myself inside, kicking off my shoes and sliding them under the bench. The kitchen is empty, as is the living room, and just as I'm about to go and check the venue, I hear laughter float through the house from the back porch. I follow the laugher, coming to a spectacular view of the backyard and mountains, as well as Leo and his family. They're all sitting around the glass patio table. Eliza and Tenille are in the middle of some card game. Leo is standing at the corner, making comments about how much Tenille sucks at shuffling. 

"Leo Sangster," she scolds. "You better watch your mouth. You are staying at my house for the summer; I could kick you out."

Leo ruffles Tenille's hair. "But you wouldn't because you love me too much."

Tenille pushes him away, shooting a look at Eliza. "It worries me when he acts like this. He sounds too much like his father."

I lean against the entryway, a small smile on my lips. I know it's rude to eavesdrop on people, but I enjoy watching them interact about as much as I enjoy watching my family interact. In several ways, my family and Leo's family are very similar to one another. Whenever my family gets together, the happiness radiates off of everyone and you can't help but smile along with them. But with Leo's family, the happiness practically bleeds from them. And I think it's because they're so closely knitted to each other. Sharing a loss has brought them together in a way that I hope my family won't have to experience for a very long time. It makes me admire Leo and his family even more.

"Well," I input, smiling as they all turn to look at me. "He nearly looks like Leon's doppelganger, from the pictures I've seen, so I wouldn't, personally, be surprised if he were anything like his dad."

"Aria," Eliza says, rushing over to hug me. 

Although my family is very huggy, I'm still slightly taken aback by being hugged by my boyfriend's mom. Before finding Leo, I had been terrified of meeting any potential boyfriends' parents. I always thought they would act indifferent towards me due to my reputation, or even persuade their son to date me in order to gain fame.  But I know I don't have to worry about any of that with Leo or his family. 

Smiling, I hug her back. "It's so good to see all of you again," I say. "We'll all have to schedule in some time together again. Maybe make some more soap. My mom loves it, by the way." Eliza and I break the hug, and I tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "So does my dad," I continue, lowering my voice. "But he continues to deny it. I think he's worried about how his love for creamsicle-scented soap will harm his masculinity."