forty-three

Aria

Aria

I'm never going to tell Leo, but I love that his dad has put a few restaurants on his bucket list. I'm a total foodie. And with the way training has been going, I know I'm entitled to eat whatever the hell I want. But what makes me even happier is that we're going to the usual taco truck Benn and I always go to. It's my favourite place in Whistler, and that very fact makes me feel a little closer to Leo because I have something in common with his dad. There are already several checkmarks beside the taco truck, representing the fact that Leon obviously went there multiple times while he was living here. If I had a bucket list, this place would be on there with just as many checkmarks, if not more.

Lacing my fingers with Leo's, I allow him to tug me down the trail. He's veered off of the main trail, guiding us to a trail that's much closer to the creek. It's a beautiful sight, and I'm puzzled as to why I've never seen this trail before, but I don't let my inner questions bother me too much. I've never really taken the time to explore this area. It's too close to work for my liking. Not that I hate my job or anything. It's just, by the end of the day, I'm always ready to go home either because I'm exhausted or just sick of people.

"Come on," Leo says, tugging me a little harder. "We're almost there."

I frown in puzzlement. The taco truck is next to some of the historic landmarks from the 2010 Olympics that were held here. Definitely not in the middle of the forest by the creek. I'm so confused by his words that I have to voice my question this time around. "Uh...Leo?"

"Yeah?" he asks, glancing over his shoulder and smiling down at me.

It's moments like these, when I can see the kid that's hidden inside him, that I have difficulty preventing myself from throwing my arms around his neck and kissing him to death. There's nothing more beautiful than when he comes out of his shell and shows who he really is. That curious, adventurous child at heart. The same type of person his father was according to Eliza, Kit, and Tenille's stories. I wonder if Leo knows just how much he reminds everyone of his dad.

I shake my head and look away to break the gawking I'm doing. "You do realize the taco truck is actually in The Village, right?"

"Of course I know that," he snorts. He glances up at the tall cedarwood trees surrounding us as he steps over a stump. It's an old stump, practically mulch after years of weathering, but it still juts out enough to count as an obstruction. I carefully step over it. "I'm taking you somewhere special. I figured it was time I show you where my parents used to hang out all the time when they were growing up." He pauses and makes eye contact with me once again. Streaks of warm, summer sunlight pattern his face. An equally as warm breeze ruffles his hair. His eyes flick over my shoulder. "Oh, and you see that stump?"

I look down. "I nearly tripped over it because you're practically dragging me down this trail, Leo. So, yes, I did see it," I tease.

His face turns serious. "Shit, Aria, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was doing that."