sixteen

Aria

Aria

Today, surprisingly, has been a slow day at work. Due to the recent news spreading across Canada and the Internet of me being named captain of the women's team, I thought people would be spilling through the doors of the company to congratulate me. But it's as if the world has answered my unheard pleas to allow me a break. After I had my meltdown in front of Dad, he called everyone up – Mom, Jax, Benn, Aunty Emlyn, Uncle Hainsey, Grandma and her husband, and Isabella  – and insisted that we all go out for a celebratory dinner and some drinks. I was both mentally and physically exhausted after that escapade, dreading work the next day. To say I'm thankful for this brief moment of relaxation is an understatement. 

Relaxation aside, it doesn't subtract from any of the awkwardness I feel when I'm around Leo. For the second day in a row, we're working alone together. I kind of miss having Benn and his loudmouth around to break this awkwardness, but he has important matters to attend to regarding hockey. I'm not going to let my immature issues stand between him and his passion for hockey. And, despite the questions that are burning between Leo and I, as well as our shared inability to solve them, I have to find a way to work around this tenseness between us on my own. I've never been good at handling my emotions like my mom, so I believe now is a good time to begin practising said wanted personality trait. 

All day, I've been acting professional, ignoring how badly I want him to kiss me again and definitely ignoring the way I catch him looking at me every so often. Especially when he bites his goddamned bottom lip and looks away, guilt clouding his features. It makes him look hot and innocent, and it makes me want to pin him down and kiss him until he's begging me for oxygen. And you know what the scariest part is? I know I could do that to him. He's fit, but he doesn't have the muscle mass I do from all my years of training. 

The thought of overpowering a man is indecently tempting and alluring. 

But I manage to keep my emotions in control by distracting myself from anything that has to do with Leo. For the first half of the morning, I catch up on any bookkeeping that needs to be completed, as well as payments for the building and the utilities. The other half of the morning is solely dedicated to taking inventory on equipment: mountain bikes, helmets, knee and elbow pads, and rental shoes. And, when all that has been completed, I focus on giving Darren, the man who now runs the cabin company we're partnered with, a call to see how things are going. Unfortunately, he doesn't answer. 

After our quiet lunch break, Leo and I deal with several customers, giving them directions, taking payments, and renting out a few mountain bikes. For once in my life, there is a unique comfort in having strangers surround me, and I'm actually thankful when a few of them bring up hockey, either discussing captaincy or how awesome my little brother is looking at camp. People continue to waltz in and Leo and I continue to work professionally, fulfilling everything this company stands for. But, just like any other customer, they flitter away and leave Leo and I alone again.