thirteen

Leo

Leo

"Someone's in love."

I blink, looking up from my cup of steaming tea and directing my gaze to my mom. After today's hike with Aria, the rain moved in from the West Coast and released its wrath upon us, causing the temperature to drop below fifteen and a wicked thunderstorm to rattle us. Right now, my mom and I are sitting on the enclosed porch, watching the thunderstorm as it travels through the area.

I clear my throat, trying to make myself appear calm, but my cheeks betray me, as I can feel the heat up. As my mind instantly thinks about Aria and the kiss we shared today. I shouldn't have been surprised by Aria's sudden decision to kiss me because I know how outgoing and spontaneous she can be, but I was. I never, in a million years, would have thought she had feelings for me.

"I, uh, don't know what you're talking about, Mom," I say, watching as lightning splits the gloomy sky. Listening as the rain ferociously pelts the roof. Before me is the vast view of Aunty Tenille's property, kilometres and kilometres of pasture, surrounded by the stunning outline of forest and broad-peaked mountains. I'm starting to wish Mom and I had come here sooner rather than later. Whistler is really starting to grow on me, and after I graduate with my master's, I could see myself living here. I'm sure there are plenty of environmental science jobs available here. Maybe Aunty Tenille and Kit would also give me a place to stay until I can find a job. "I really like this place," I add, my focus distant. "Dad must have loved it here."

Mom throws her head back, laughing. "Don't try to bullshit your own mother, Leo. That is exactly the look your father had when he was trying to lie." Her laughter quickly dies down, though, as she adds: "Yes, your father did love it here. Every morning, he would take the bike trail down to Fitzsimmons Creek, to our special rock, and then bike right back up. I don't know how he did it."

I roll my eyes, and then I feel a pretzel whack my cheek. "What the hell?" I ask. "I didn't say anything! I'm just rolling my eyes because I find it a load of BS that you can't understand how he did it. Mom — you still mountain bike as often as you can back home."

"Don't roll your eyes at me, Leo Nathan Sangster," she scolds, ignoring my argument. "Now, tell me more about this girl you're seeing." A small smirk crosses her lips. "Although, I do think I already have an idea about who she is. I believe I met her just the other day."

I adjust the flannel blanket, giving myself time to organize my thoughts. If I tell Mom that I went hiking with Aria, she's going to want to know the reasoning behind it. I hate lying to my mom, but I don't want to tell her quite yet about the bucket list. So I decide, that if I do have to explain my reasoning, I'm simply going to tell her that Aria only came along because she knows the area better than I do. "Is that so?" I challenge, slouching my posture against the cushioned chair and trying to look casual, though nearly every muscle in my body is tense and strained. I don't know why I'm reacting as I am, but I'm about as relaxed as the storm that's happening around us.