thirty-nine

Leo

Leo

It takes a while for the rest of the gang to arrive at the restaurant. By the time they do arrive, Aria and I have already ordered some appetizers: calamari, garlic chilli prawns, winter salad, and fried marinated tofu with a maple chilli sauce. Aria's also managed to down two drinks. Some weird, purple-looking drink called lavender gin fizz. I don't know why someone would put lavender in anything that isn't a candle or body care product, but I've seen some strange things around Whistler, so I'm not judging too harshly. Besides, the drink is actually super refreshing. I know this because Aria, despite me being underage, continues to let me have small sips when she's positive people aren't paying attention to us.

As I'm picking at the calamari, I try to reach for the drink as well, wanting just one more sip. I don't know what it is, but the fizziness of the drink really combines well with the deep-fried aftermath of the calamari. However, before I can close my hand around the chilled glass, Aria smacks my hand away and waggles her finger at me, making a tsking noise. "Leo, you're underage," she teases.

I roll my eyes. "I would be allowed to drink in Alberta."

She giggles, tapping my nose. "But we're currently in British Columbia, so you're screwed, kid."

"You know," I say, looking her directly in the eye. "You're lucky I love you enough to put up with this relentless teasing. Was that something you inherited from your parents? Or did you just adopt it from being around Benn all the time?"

Aria and I are close, so close I can feel her hot breath on my lips. It's tainted with the faint scent of alcohol and lavender, making it all the more intoxicating. I'm tempted to kiss her. I want to kiss her. But before I can even lean closer to her, a familiar voice interrupts the sexual tension radiating between us.

"Please," Scarlett says. "She definitely inherited it from her parents. Frankly, I'm disappointed in you for not realizing that, Leo. You are Aria's boyfriend, after all. There isn't a single doubt in my mind that you haven't yet been the victim of Luke's shade yet."

Aria and I jerk away from each other, and then she jumps to her feet and hugs Scarlett. There's some type of conversation going on, but I'm still recovering from the overload of feelings that are flowing through my body at the moment. I'm jealous of how easily Aria is able to recover and act normal. Me? I'm still stuck in a trance, longing to kiss her and taste her. I'm caught up in the smell of her perfume and the alcohol on her breath. The way her green-blue eyes twinkle in the dim lighting.

Scarlett hugs her back, chuckling. "We saw each other this morning, Madden. It hasn't been that long." I half-watch as Scarlett pulls back, frowning at Aria. "How much have you had to drink?"

"Two," she replies. "But it's really more like one-and-a-half. Leo has been sipping them."

When both girls look at me, I reach out, grab the drink, and take a long sip.