Chapter 4: Royal Pains

Princess Axelia

Miss Elysse dances around my bedroom as she gathers my clothes for the day. I notice her preferences include long sleeve dresses that completely cover the back. There is a meeting in Cadaekin that I can't miss even after last night's punishment.

Cassius, leader of the Royal Court, will be expecting us to arrive early so he can heal my wounds. He is one of the most ancient vampires in our region. I have seen him restore broken bones and cure illnesses of all kinds. My father doesn't invite anyone into our castle as often as he does Cassius. His fondness towards the man is odd considering he hates vampires. 

Personally, I don't hate their kind. I find them to be fascinating and admire their abilities. It's only when they prove to be a threat that I feel differently. If humans were raiding and killing the people of Cadomia I would hunt them down, too. 

Since waking up, I have thought repeatedly about thanking Leonidas for saving me. It's hard to accept that he came to my rescue when I have every intention of killing him.

"For you to remember," I recall his words.

Remember what? 

A light knock on the door startles us, and I watch as Miss Elysse hurries over to open it.

"Good morning, your Majesty," she bows.

My heart pounds when I think it's my father.

"Miss Elysse," Prince Herakles responds, and she blushes. "Is the Princess decent? May I come in?"

Although he asks, she lacks the authority to turn him away.

"One moment," she tells him before gently closing the door. Rushing to my wardrobe, she searches for something loose I can wear. A moment later, she settles on one of my floor-length robes. 

"Can you sit up?"

I slide my hands until they are under my shoulders. The moment I begin to apply pressure the muscles in my back burn like hot coals. I wince, and she quickly grasps my elbows to help me the rest of the way up.

Tears well in my eyes, but I blink them away as she drapes the robe around my shoulders and secures it with a cotton belt so that my chest is fully covered. Once she brushes a few loose, curly strands of hair from my face, she steps back to gaze down at me.

"Maybe you should show some leg," she thinks aloud with a wink.

My jaw drops slightly.

The woman often encourages me to swoon Prince Herakles solely for her own benefit. She stares at the man like he is a pie. I would for the entertainment, but Herakles would think to ask for my hand in marriage.

"What?" she exclaims. "They'll make him want to stay."

Heat rises in my cheeks and I drag as much of the robe as I can to cover my thighs. I know she isn't being serious when she laughs her way to the door and welcomes in the Prince.

Herakles wears a mahogany silk suit that adds suave to his masculine features. His beard is like Leonidas' except that it is longer and a darker brown. Instead of allowing his hair to grow out, he keeps it cut short. The straight line of his nose makes his face seem long and his chin gives it a triangular shape. He looks elegant and his pale white skin draws attention directly to his green eyes.

"Good morning, Princess," he addresses me and lifts his right hand to his chest while he leans forward at the waist. 

I only offer a small smile to him when he lifts his eyes.