Chapter 49: Power in Relationship

Princess Axelia

Rushing through the vast, dark, stone halls of the Reriman castle, I search and ask around for the Queen or Prince but no one is able to tell me where they are.

It makes me anxious so I sprint when I finally come across the archway to a tower I can only hope leads to Leo's quarters. Swiftly turning a corner, I almost collide into a man but he slips out of the way just in time for me to stumble over my own feet. Thankfully, one of his hands catches my arm and steadies me.

"Princess," he acknowledges, letting go of me with a curt bow. "Are you lost?"

Glancing over my shoulder, I recognize him to be the doctor from the other night. Perhaps he can tell me where everyone is.

"That depends," I reply breathlessly. "Is this the Prince's tower?"

Perseus shakes his head and braids his arms across the chest of his dark blue cloak. He is a slender, tall man with very pale skin and an eerie aura that makes me chill under his mellow gaze.

"This is the council's tower," he informs and with the wave of a hand, gestures for us to walk out into a main hall where maids and knights shuffle about discussing matters to do with the war outside the Kingdom's walls.

Apparently my father is attacking from the west and south to avoid alerting the Royal Court but hasn't yet been able to invade Rerimas.

"Do you know where I can find Leonidas, or the Queen?" I question him next, suspicious that he's the only one who seems unconcerned.

"The Queen is on her way to the Royal Court's palace," he shares as he slows our stride to a stop and turns to face me. "Leonidas is foolishly engaging in the fight."

His indignant tone turns my chills to steam.

"Leonidas is no fool," I snap, which in turn gets him to quirk a brow. "He's courageous and self-sacrificing which--"

"Makes him senseless and irrational," Perseus interjects.

Who does this man think he is? How can he be so apathetic?

"You don't understand," I scowl, ready to give him a piece of my mind.

"I understand that Leonidas cares for his people," he interrupts again as he casually circles around me. "His heart is without a doubt altruistic and pure. However, his poor habit of responding in emotion rather than logic will land him in the hands of Valerio."

"How?" I inquire and my voice softens now that he seems to have reason behind his words.

"Leonidas was bereaved a father so with his every decision is the motivation to prove himself. He fights often, over-works, over-trains and pushes himself beyond his limits. It's how he copes with his losses, a kind of self-punishment."

"Who would he be trying to prove himself to?" I wonder.

"All his life he's been called a monster because of the reputation his father left behind. It's an insult that has deeply scarred him and despite his distaste for Valerio, he is determined to prove to your father that he isn't one," he answers with a few shakes of his head. "Unfortunately, Valerio is a prideful and spiteful man. He will slay our Prince if an opportunity presents itself."

Before I remembered everything, hearing such words about my father would be infuriating. He stole my memories so I would believe his decisions were just and right, but now I know the truth.

"Leo--" I trail off, pained by a realization and how I spent years contributing to it. "Leonidas believes he is a monster?"

"Indeed," Perseus affirms.