Chapter 30: Yes, Please

Princess Axelia

We ride back to the castle in a silence that doesn't bother me.

How could it when my mind combusts with thoughts and questions? Most of which revolve around a kiss, his kiss.

I never imagined I'd experience my first so soon, let alone share it with my enemy of all people.

Still, somewhere in the back of my mind and depths of my heart, I wanted it to be with him. I just couldn't bring myself to admit it until he asked. If I'm being honest with myself, I might even confess that I have feelings for him.

But I can't.

I shouldn't.

Won't? No--

I don't know.

Frustration boils within me as we pass through the gates into the Rerimas. Immediately, Leonidas is approached by knights informing him that the Queen requests his presence for a council meeting.

The young boy, Alec, nearly drags him from Shadow's saddle.

He glances over his shoulder at me apologetically before he is ushered up to the castle.

"Princess Axelia," Elytis greets me with a bow as he approaches.

Heat rushes up my cheeks when we meet eyes. I feel like there is paint announcing what I've done spread across my forehead in bright colors. My lips are still tingling and warm from his mouth's embrace.

"How was your date?" I ask, turning from him to hop down from Aries.

Guards take hold of the horse's reign to guide them back across the yard to a stable. Shadow's neighs and whinnying frighten the men as she thrashes her mane and stomps her hooves, but before they can call for reinforcements, Aries canters over and positions his body between them.

Instantly, Shadow calms and the guards only hold to Aries reigns while she trots along on his opposite side.

"It was great!" Elytis grins, as we head up to the castle. "She laughed at a few of my jokes, and I got her to blush a few times with my charm. I suppose being best friends with a Prince rubs off," he smirks as he flicks out the collar of his tunic.

Laughing, I shake my head.

"So you think she likes you?" I quirk a brow.

With a pause of his stride, he places a hand on my shoulder with a scoff.

"Oh, I know she does."

That's encouraging to hear. I wonder if she's had a crush on him for a while. It's still shocking to me that he's liked her for a few years and has just asked her on a date. When I return to Cadomia I'll have to fill Miss Elysse in on everything, including how I know she has a brother who was turned into a vampire.

"How was yours, Princess?" Elytis shifts the conversation, glancing over his shoulder at me with a smirk and wink.

"I didn't go on a date!" I blurt, while my heart drums.

Did I?

He slows his pace so that we're beside one another. "My apologies," he sighs, "I must have read too far into the Prince taking you into the forest for a horseback ride, alone, in the middle of night for nearly four hours. Surely you were just discussing political matters--" he trails off to poke at my shoulder, "through a kiss, no?"

My brain explodes.

"No!"

"Whatever you say, your Highness."