Chapter 32: Sweet Potato Pie

Princess Axelia

I should have said something.

Sighing, my gaze falls to the bath that was prepared. My tears flow freely, possibly adding to the water level.

Herakles insisted I cleanse myself after my stay in Rerimas. He's always had a bitter bone towards Leonidas but it seems as though it's gotten worse. Perhaps he spends too much time with my father.

He didn't have to tell Leonidas about the engagement or mention his father. How truly distasteful.

Though who am I to judge?

Leonidas expressed that he has feelings for me.

How cruel of me not to even think of mentioning Herakles' proposal. I can't believe it never crossed my mind. Sure, there was a lot going on and even more to process, but it was the proposal that sent me into the woods in the first place.

As we left his Kingdom I couldn't even look back at him.

What does he think of me now?

Guilt and shame crawl beneath my skin as I leave the comfort of the bath. While I dry off, I notice all my scars are gone including the ones that were on my back from when my father had me flogged.

Herakles wants a flawless bride. As soon as Cassius arrived here in Cadaekin, he was sent to heal me. I thought I would be going home immediately after, but Cassius insisted I stay the night in Cadaekin that way it eases my father's suspicion for where I've been.

Despite Herakles' lack of respect for Leonidas, he has agreed not to share about my stay in Rerimas by the plea of Queen Ida and the Royal Court.

They don't want to have to prevent a battle before the wedding announcement tomorrow.

"Mother," I whisper to myself as I stand in front of a mirror coated in condensation, "I wouldn't know what to do even if they gave me the choice."

My fists squeeze the sides of a marble sink in my frustration. If I were in Cadomia right now, I'd be tracking down Maynard to challenge to a fight. But since that's not the case, I exhale a deep sigh and slip into a silk, black nightgown before I return to the bedroom.

Only a few candles are lit and one drawn curtain reveals the deep blue of night's sky.

A tray of food has been left for me on top of a glass table in the center of the room, but I've got too much on my mind to care for a meal.

In fact, I've almost got too much on my mind to notice a person sitting on the ottoman at the baseboard of a queen-sized bed that I've passed by more than a few times. If it weren't for the way I almost trip over their foot, I wonder if I would have noticed them at all.

Before I can scream, he rises in a blur cupping a firm hand over my mouth. Instinctively, I turn enough to elbow him in his side, but he twists out of the way in time to catch my strike.

"Leonidas, what are you--" my scowl and words fall the moment I meet his dark gaze as he looms over me.

How does he so easily keep breaking into Kingdoms?

"Do you want to marry him?" he asks, allowing me to turn and face him though his grasp on my elbow keeping me steady, remains.

He really likes cutting straight to the point.

"I told him that I didn't, but he shared about his proposal to my father. When our council met to discuss it, I refused again," I explain, dropping my gaze to the floor. "My father slapped me and decided to force the marriage upon me. So, I left with Aries to--" I trail off, not able to recall if it was to clear my mind or run away. "Th-then I got attacked."