Chapter 57: We Are Family

Princess Axelia

Married.

I am married.

Not just to anyone but to a man who has put time, pain, energy, and love into knowing me; believing in and never giving up on me even after I forgot who he was.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" he wonders, and a pale pink rises in his cheeks standing out against the color of his dark blue suit.

"I'm afraid that if I blink, this might all be a dream that fades away when I wake," I admit.

Leaning forward, a few strands of his hair fall over his forehead as his eyes drop to my hands which he lifts to his face. "Do I feel like a dream?"

My fingers skim across his soft yet prickly, trimmed facial hair and I can feel warmth from his skin. He's as real as possible, yet still I doubt. "Aren't I supposed to pinch myself?" I tilt my head in thought only to then raise my eyebrows when he parts his lips, allowing one of my fingertips to bump a fang. All it takes is a quick poke for it to slice the skin and a drop of blood oozes out confirming I am very much awake.

When it tingles, I draw back my hand from him absentmindedly planning to suck on the minor cut to stop the bleeding until he catches my wrist. "Tsk tsk tsk," he shakes his head, opening one of his palms for me to place my hand back in his grasp. "Allow me."

Obliging, I watch as he merely kisses the wound, inhaling the droplet of blood before it seals.

"Right, not a dream," I breathe. Softly grinning, he reclines in his seat.

"No," he murmurs, closing his eyes while resting his head on a wall of the cabin.

Our carriage ride is short, transferring us from the west to east side of the Reriman castle. Upon our arrival my bridesmaids nearly drag me from Leonidas to rush me into a photoshoot before they let me change for the reception.

I exchange my ball gown for a sleeveless, knee-length, romper made of gold fabric with a transparent lace skirt that drapes to my ankles. When I come through the doors of the ballroom, applause and cheers echo off the walls until I take my seat beside Leonidas. My stomach growls the second dinner carts come rolling by. Then, just like the last ball we attended, he questions the various menu items I adorn my plate with.

"I just don't understand," he whines, running his hands down his face as I go over how meats have to be seasoned and the way meals incorporate different ingredients. "Food is bothersome," he resolves, turning up his nose in disapproval.

"You're just jealous that your taste buds are bland," I counter, and laugh when he sets a hand on his chest in offense.

Suddenly, Elysse and Elytis rise from their seats tapping their glasses to draw everyone's attention for speeches.

"As many of you know, I am the Prince's personal bodyguard," Elytis begins, "which means I am technically the strongest person in the room."

Some chuckle, others scoff, and Leonidas tucks his head in his arms while shaking his head.

"Leonidas is my closest friend. He taught me how to be a vampire and never judged me during my transition or excluded me from any gathering as though I didn't belong. He is my brother. He has seen me at my worst and best as I have seen him grow and change. But one thing about him that has never and will never change is his love for Axelia," he says, turning to face me. "I can only hope to be half the man he is and find a bride with an ounce of this Princess' courage."

The audience applauds and he dramatically bows before returning to his seat where the then kisses the side of Leo's head.

My Prince blushes crimson and tries but fails to push away his friend eventually surrendering as Elytis cradles him in a hug.