Chapter 27: Humble My Pride

Princess Axelia

"You'll be staying until tomorrow afternoon," Elytis informs me as we stroll along a dirt trail under a bright, clear blue sky. "Prince Herakles will escort you to Cadaekin where Cassius will heal the rest of your wounds."

It would be troublesome if my father saw me wrapped up like this while being returned from Rerimas.

War, imminent.

While Elytis carries on with details about my arrangements, my mind drifts off to Leonidas.

Did I overstep a boundary by hugging him? I know I shouldn't have waken him up but-- I thought it was worth it to express gratitude.

"Princess, are you alright?" Elytis asks, coming to an abrupt halt causing me to bump into him.

"Sorry, I was just-- Do you know where Leonidas is?"

He brushes back a loose strand of his thick curly hair that he wears in a ponytail. "Resting," he shrugs. "May I ask why you want to know?"

"I upset him earlier and was hoping to get the chance to apologize."

"Perhaps you will," he smiles. "As soon as the sun begins to set he should wake again. I doubt he will spend the entire evening avoiding you. He's far too sophisticated for that."

That's reassuring.

I don't ask him anything else as we make our way to a stable where a young woman with luscious dark brown hair and warm-toned, brown skin works alone.

She's stunning.

"Neola, this is Princess Axelia," he introduces us and she offers me a bow before guiding us to--

"Aries!" I exclaim as I run up to his stall. His large head could pop the locks off the wooden door between us, but he extends his neck over the opening to shove his nose into my hands instead.

"He only had a few scratches on his shoulders and neck, but I cleaned the wounds," Neola smiles as she and Elytis join my side.

"Thank you!" I breathe in relief before turning and pressing my forehead to his. "Don't you ever leave me behind like that again you coward."

He snorts.

Neola leaves us to retrieve a stack of hay which Elytis volunteers to help her do. As I watch them head deeper into the stable, I catch sight of her.

Shiny black hair glistens in the sunlight while her void, dark eyes penetrate my soul. Their hypnotic allure draws me to her stall and she doesn't break her gaze upon me even to blink.

"For a horse, you're almost as intimidating as your rider," I mutter, feeling more cautious the closer I get.

"Careful, your Highness," Neola rushes to my side, guiding me back a few steps by my shoulders. "She's far from tame and has a menacing temper."

"She's just spoiled," Elytis chimes in with a roll of his eyes as he passes between the horse and us.

Shadow steps forward bumping her chest into the stall doors causing them to rattle while Elytis squeals and drops the stack of hay. She leans below the doors and begins to nibble away at it while Neola and I laugh at the pale-faced guard.

"I'm telling Leonidas," he sticks his tongue out at the horse but she merely flicks an ear seeming to ignore him otherwise.

"If she is so dangerous, why does he have her?" I ask them, eyeing her lean, muscular build.

I wonder how fast she can run.

"She was a gift to the Prince from Queen Hedvika," Elytis answers, "for his birthday the prior year of the incident. She's always been feisty, but back then you could at least touch her without getting an arm broken."