Chapter 24: Dark Knight

Princess Axelia

"Valerio will start a war if we return her to Cadomia in this condition," a Reriman councilman argues with another.

We are in a fairly small room made of stone with only a few candles lit. Most of the halls in the castle are dimly illuminated like this which is a bit of a surprise considering vampires can see in the dark.

Vampires.

They were all wide awake and bustling about despite the moon replacing where the sun should be. It's bizzare. Their shops were all open and villagers busy at work. Yet, there is no smell of spices in the air. No sizzling meat being prepared. No colorful fruits on display.

No food at all.

I only recall spotting a few wagons selling jars of a thick red fluid on our way through. Youth drank it through straws while adults guzzled it down like beer. Laughing, joking and discussing random topics.

Until they noticed me.

Noses twitching, trickles of veins slithering and cheeks withering would occur before eyes would lock in on me. Dark eyes. Hungry eyes. Although, there were some gazes simply of shock while others absolute fury. Murmurs, whispers and grunts of disapproval nipped at my ears.

Sighing, I shake my head to silence my thoughts. I've been zoning in and out of this conversation between councilmen and Queen Ida as I attempt to steady my racing heart. Blood still trickles from my wounds and blends with the remains of Ferals that have adorned my outfit. Yet, none of the vampires present show any interest in me as far as thirsting for my blood goes. They've given hardly any reaction at all.

Meanwhile, every time I glance at a few gashes on my arms it makes me feverish.

Will I get an infection?

Could I turn into one of them?

"Perseus is right," Queen Ida speaks up. "She will remain here until morning. We will reach out to Cassius about what he suggests we do next."

Rising from her seat at the head of the table wearing a long navy gown that makes her white hair shimmer even in the dim light, she draws everyone's attention.

I wait silently as she gives commands to Elytis, knights, and a woman dressed in an apron before she approaches me.

"Princess," she acknowledges. I simply offer a bow of my head in response before meeting her hard, focused stare. "Come along."

She leads me into a tower void of candlelight, taking one of my hands to help guide me until we enter a room with bookcases, a desk, and a fireplace that a maid lights.

Warmth draws me in like a moth to the flame and I slip my feet from the puddles in my boots as I begin to warm my fingers and toes.

"You are safe here, Princess," she speaks with a calm, gentle tone while joining my side. A wet cloth is in one of her hands, but I can't help flinching away as she raises it to my face. Quirking a brow, she stops her motion giving an expectant look.

"I can do it myself," I whisper.

I'm still trembling from the encounter in the forest and can't relax knowing my life could be in danger here. Now, I empathize with how Leonidas must have felt that day in Cadomia.

"You have your mother's feisty nature and eyes, but your father's pride," she murmurs before setting the cloth on the stone stair.

Anger swells in my chest at her mention of my mother, but for once I hold my tongue.

Steam carries the aroma of lavender from the water of the bath prepared for me. It soothes me as three young women, who claim to be human, wipe my skin clean of tonight's battle.