Chapter 19: Prince Charming

Princess Axelia

"Since when did you start using your Queen like this?" my father asks as he sits across from me at my desk. 

He's come to spend the morning with me only to insist we play a game of chess after he saw it sitting out. 

"I've recently become aware of her value," I shrug, and my eyes drift over to where a blanket drapes over the back of my couch. 

Sleeping was nearly impossible last night. I couldn't stop thinking about Leonidas and replaying all that happened over again. 

There were moments I could still feel like his petal soft skin and that mysterious tension that filled the air. His cologne clings to the blanket he slept in, and I had to send away the shirt he left behind with Miss Elysse to dispose of.  

"Are you listening, Axelia?" my father's voice recaptures my attention.

"Huh?" I gasp as I whip my head around.

"I said you've got checkmate," he quirks a brow before lowering his gaze to the board. "This is the first time you've beaten me, and I can't decide if I should be bitter or proud."

His tone is lighthearted, and his deep brown eyes gleam.

I wonder if Leonidas would have won our match had he not been so exhausted. 

"Nobody likes a sore loser, Father," I grin.

"Very true," he agrees with a heavy sigh as he stretches his arms over his head and stands to his feet. "And I'll definitely win next time, so it's not a big deal."

Gawking, I shake my head and toss one of my knights at him making him laugh. 

"What were you doing in Cadaekin yesterday?" I ask as I escort him to the door. 

He clears his throat and rubs his chin in thought for a moment. 

"I had a few things to discuss with the Queen and Herakles," he finally answers, although it's quite vague. 

"Don't you always?" I murmur with a half roll of my eyes.

Pulling my door open, he sighs, "This time it was about more serious matters."

"Such as?"

"Well, there is a threat approaching the borders of our region. I need to join forces with Cadaekin's military to increase our defense. The threat isn't anything we can't handle, but if it gets worse we might have to lean on the Reriman army," he elaborates. His eyebrows push a crease in the center of his forehead in a deep frown. 

They must be desperate.

"What is the threat? Another region?" I wonder aloud. 

He shakes his head and folds his arms over his chest. 

"No, they are Ferals. Monstrous little beasts without conscience who go around slaughtering everything because their bodies can't sustain blood like regular vampires," he scowls. "I think the Reriman army should fight them alone. Vampires have a better chance of surviving an attack. I don't think human lives should be wasted."

Leonidas' army.

They are known to be some of the most well-trained and equipped, but our region has never sent one Kingdom's army off to win a battle on its own. 

My father and Herakles hate Leonidas though. Would they withdraw their forces and leave the Rerimans to fight alone?

"What did Herakles think?" I ask nervously. 

His expression softens with a smirk.

"You can ask him yourself. He will be here this afternoon."

Seriously? These two can't get enough of each other.