Chapter 31: None of Your Business

Prince Leonidas

"Which one?" I whisper softly to myself as my eyes scan a rainbow variety of flower bushes.

My mother has brought to me Cadomia for dance lessons with Axelia, but we're a little early. I've been wanting to give her something for a while now. A flower would be perfect.

Ah, yes! There are purple roses.

Just as I reach to pick one, someone jumps out from behind me and grabs my arms.

"Boo!" she laughs, and I frown as I shake my head brushing her hands off my shoulders. "What are you doing in the garden? We should have been at practice ten minutes ago. I've been looking all over for you. Come on."

Taking my hand, she pulls me along behind her until we enter one of the Cadomian ballrooms structured with massive walls of gold and white.

"There they are," our instructor breaths a long sigh to his partners before rushing over to us.

A small string orchestra begins to play a tune on their violins while the instructor positions me in front of Axelia. She's already got her arms in place waiting for me to step forward, but I hesitate.

"Come now, young Prince," the instructor prods as he comes up behind me and nearly forces me into her arms.

Stiff, I awkwardly try to follow her steps without touching her.

"No, you've got to lead her!" he exclaims and takes one of my hands to place above her hip while intertwining the fingers of my other with her floating hand. "There's no time for you to be so bashful. You'll be a King someday. Be bold. It's how you win a lady's heart."

Heart tightening, I notice small veins wiggling under my wrists and the gums around my fangs start to ache.

This isn't good.

Axelia stares into my eyes with a slight look of concern, but I can feel a blush on my cheeks. My body out of my control.

Upset, I step back from her and push the instructor away forgetting my strength. He skids halfway across the room with wide eyes before glaring at me.

"Reckless child!"

"Sorry," I gasp, take more steps from Axelia when she reaches for me. She follows, so I flee.

I can't hurt her.

Sitting out in one of the castle courtyards, I can hear the instructor complaining to the other people who were in the room.

It only makes me feel worse when he calls me a monster.

Sighing, I kick at a few rocks with my shoes. I didn't mean to push him. I just couldnt stand him yelling at me and forcing me to touch Axelia. Im not sure whats gotten into me lately, but being around her is scarying me. I get all sweaty and nervous and hot.

Is it because I like her? Or, because I'm afraid of her finding out? Afraid she doesn't like me back?

My shoulders shake as I hold back tears stinging my eyes.

Frowning at the ground, I close them and try to focus on the sound of soldiers practicing how to sword fight. Aside from metal scraping metal, I manage to block out all other sound.

"Leo, are you okay?" Axelia asks. I jump, wye popping open in time to watch as she comes around a corner and walks up to the concrete bench.

I glance at her and feel an ache in my heart.