Chapter 3 : Imaginary Friend

Rohini does not like team activities which is a forced formality in almost all corporate organizations. Arjun on the contrary is a great team player, he gets involved enthusiastically in every events technical or non technical. Rohini sits right next to Arjun so she can't avoid him as much as she wanted to. Other girls in the team started hanging out near her deak just to ogle at him. This is just added inconvenience for Rohini. She is very much annoyed by this one girl named Rashi. Rashi started trying to befriend Rohini just to get to Arjun. Rohini is well aware of her intentions and  showed indifference in all her attempts. Rashi invited Rohini and Arjun for coffee breaks and lunch breaks, while Rohini was trying to make up fake excuses Arjun would be dragging her out of her chair. She also didn't like the fact that he has no boundaries. She questioned that why does he have to put on this team player act to her. Hesitant Rohini joined their group things as a silent spectator. Most people in the group spoke Hindi and Rohini doesn't know Hindi, she doesn't bother to learn. She knows only Tamil and English. She is not curious to learn any new language.

She wondered why doesn't he get that Rashi wants to hang with him alone? Why does he drag me to his stuffs? I have worked in this company for years and I have no friends but look at this new guy surrounded by people all the time.

She likes eating lunch alone at peace. Mostly it was ruined by Arjun and his gang. After a long time, Rohini gets a chance to enjoy her lunch alone. Probably Arjun took day off that day she assumed. He has not been this late. She also didn't like to adjust her lunch timings based on the gang's opinion. She likes to eat whenever she feels hungry and not when everyone is available. As Arjun was not seen that day, nobody came to call her for lunch. She with an excited mood when to office cafeteria and found a nice lonely table far away from the gang. It hasn't been even 10 minutes before she saw Arjun entering the cafeteria. Before she could avert her eyes from him, their eyes locked in. Arjun smiled at her from far as he was approaching her. As he reached closer Rohini looked at the gang's table, indicating him to go there. The gang saw him and called him as well.

Rohini think of something he is coming closer. Okay I will tell that I'm waiting for some friend

She tries to stop him from sitting on her table by saying
"Someone is coming"
"Who?"
Come on think of a name Rohini
As she struggles to respond Arjun smiles and ask
"Imaginary friend?"
She hated how he can see through her lies. Can't a woman have lunch alone?
"Friend from my last project team"
"We can take extra chairs if they come" Arjun said
"Was that your boyfriend or something? You seem disappointed that I'm here" he asked
"No. Nothing like that"

The other day Rashi asked Rohini and Arjun if they wanted to have Pani puri (It is an Indian snack which consists of a round, hollow puri, filled with a mixture of flavored water). She informs that the new stall made delicious Pani puris. Like always Rohini didn't want to join them and she also didn't like Pani puri. She couldn't refuse as Arjun dragged her as usual.

"How can you not like it?" Arjun asked with disbelief
"I find it difficult to put whole puri inside my mouth"
On hearing Rohini's reason they all laughed.
Did I say something wrong? What are these morons laughing at?
"What? Why are you guys laughing?" She asked.
Arjun said "That's like the dumbest reason I ever heard"
The gang chitchatted and had Pani puris. They eagerly waited for Rohini's turn to see how she is going to eat. Rohini is now extra cautious as everyone's eyes were on her. The last thing she wanted was people to notice her. She thought about the good old days for a moment where she didn't had to deal with this new nuisance.
"Come on Ro" the team cheered
She awkwardly tries to put puri filled with masala liquid into her mouth. While she struggles Arjun gives her little tap on the puri on her mouth. It breaks and some fell on her dress. She chokes with this unexpected push. She coughs a little. Gang was laughing at this scene. Months of pent up anger came rushing in.
"Are you trying to choke me to death?"
"You're not dead, right?"
Gang's laughing again
Come on this is not funny. If a guy is good looking, girls will laugh for any stupid thing he says. I'm out of here. No more polite team gatherings. I hate people. Screw you all. May you all rot in hell.

She storms off with anger. The gang goes quiet for a moment and then carry on with their chitchatting and swallowing more puris.