Chapter 5 : Lies Undetected

Deploying software application into live production environment were done on weekends. This particular weekend is a long weekend with Monday being a holiday. Rohini planned on going to hometown for the long weekend, leaving deployment responsibilities to Arjun, but Arjun on the other hand called in sick at the last moment. The responsibilities went to Rohini's shoulder, so she had to cancel her tickets and worked on Saturday. She doesn't have problems with working on weekend but this Saturday cancelling her plans to visit her parents did appear to be a big one. She cursed Arjun as much as she could for leaving her like this. She didn't buy his sick drama too. She thought he might be drinking and partying with his gang.

She managed to book another ticket for Saturday night (as her Friday night tickets were canceled). After completing the deployment work she hurried to the train station, where she accidentally finds Arjun looking not so sick. Furious Rohini walked up to him and asked with anger why he abandoned her at work. She basically shouted at him. An older man standing nearby turned towards them. At first she thought the older man was annoyed by her shouting but then she realized he is Arjun's father as they started talking something in Hindi. As Rohini doesn't know Hindi she had no clue what they were talking about.

His father asked Rohini what is her name. She answered with reverence mostly because he looked scary.

Before Rohini met Arjun in the train station, Arjun was informing his dad that he is in live-in relationship with a girl in Chennai (where he is working) . He did not believe in marriage. This is a lie he told to avoid marriage plans his parents had for him. He had dated many girls in the past but he never felt like marrying anyone. When his childhood friend Diya expressed her interest for him, both the families wanted them to get married but Arjun on the other hand don't want to settle yet. He thought this lie would save him for now.

Rohini being there sparked a new idea for him, he introduced her as the girl he was talking about earlier. The girl who is living with him. This is the part Rohini didn't understand as Arjun spoke in Hindi. He thought that this would add credibility to his lie and also she won't know it.

Upset father spoke to Rohini with little anger which she sensed as well. His father asked her if she had dinner which she responded that she do not eat while traveling. He insisted her to eat and took her to a nearby restaurant. Rohini was hesitant but Arjun's father do not take no for an answer. As she was eating, Arjun's father asked with anger and disappointment
"What's the issue with marriage?"
Scared Rohini without thinking responded
"Uncle I have an issue with my horoscope, that's why"
Meanwhile Arjun was worried making him think involving her in the lie was a mistake. He was worried that he was going to get caught red handed.
"So what? You can do some Pooja or prayer as a remedy" Arjun's father said in disbelief. He couldn't accept why would these kids don't want to get married. Arjun's parents do not have problems with love marriage it's just he wouldn't get married is the problem.
Rohini who was afraid of his father's intimidating tone said nothing but nod in agreement. She wondered why would Arjun tell his father about my marriage issues. Rohini is a slow eater, it was getting late for Arjun's father. Father tells him to send her off when she's done eating. Before leaving Arjun's father said to Rohini
"Take care beta. Take care of Arjun too. He's our only kid. His mother is worried sick about him. I trust that you will be there for him. If he causes any trouble you call me OK?"
"OK uncle" said Rohini.
"Take care" he patted on her head and said bye in Hindi to Arjun.
Rohini has always treated Arjun as the enemy of her life but never thought in his angle, how he is managing in the new city alone. He is a only kid, must have been pampered with love. At that moment he looked like a little kid and not the monster he used to be at work. She liked his father too, he might have looked scary but he's caring.
Arjun took her to the station, bought her snacks and water bottle for the journey even though she resisted his offer.
"Come on, let me buy it. It's the least I can do for leaving you to work alone. I'm very sorry about that. My dad's visit was last minute. I didn't expect this. I'm really sorry"
"It's OK. I was mad at you at first but I understand.
Arjun was relieved that his lie was not caught by both. Rohini felt good how he took care of her. She hasn't been dropped off by anyone before. At her hometown her family dropped her off, but in the city she had to do everything on her own. It felt nice to have a friend to drop her off like this. She began to consider him as a friend.
"Bye"
"Bye. Have a safe trip"