Chapter 9 : Sleepless In Mumbai

Rohini was determined not to share the room with Arjun. He was pleading her not to cause a scene. He knows how Indian girls are sensitive about sharing a room with a guy, but he didn't want to get caught in his lie. Otherwise next month his parents would have found another bride to be for him. He felt like nobody understood his point of view about marriage. He knew that it was too much to ask of her, he got to try his luck though.

"Why would you lie to your parents? Why would you involve me in that?" she asked unclear of the situation
"I don't want to get married at all or at least for now. But my parents won't understand me, they are trying to set me up with dates or arrange my marriage saying that I'm their only son. So I thought if I tell them that I'm already in a relationship they would stop bothering me."

She interrupts him impatient of hearing his story

"Why did you involve me in this? "
"It was not intentional. While I was telling my dad about this relationship, I saw you there in the train station, so I thought it would be more credible if he saw the girl himself. And you don't know Hindi I used it for my benefit "
"Wow! What a selfish person! Is that why your father was asking about marriage that day?"
"Yeah, I told him that we both don't believe in marriage"
"It makes sense now. That's why he was angry. And your mother hates me for that. It all makes sense now. I thought they didn't like south Indians"
"What? No"
"I want to leave now. Get me any ticket to Chennai"
"Come on Rohini, it's middle of the night."
"Then go out of this room"
He stayed silent pleading her to play along with his lie.
"Let's not sleep at all. What do you say? It's only few hours before wedding"
"Why should I sacrifice my sleep for you? I want to leave now. I don't care if you tell others that I'm a lonely loser who talk to strangers on the internet"
"You know that I'm not a pervert. How can I make you feel safe?"
"Hmm by leaving the room?"
He stood silent with puppy eyes begging her.
She settled down saying
"Sleepless night it is then"
"Thank you so much. Really"
"This is the last drama I help you with. No more."
"No more" he said in agreement
"What would you say if they ask about me? In the future"
"I'll make up something."
"Why do you lie to your own parents? Don't you feel guilty?"
He sat down on the floor near bed and Rohini was sitting on the bed listening to him.
"I do feel guilty. I feel alone, carrying my lies, burdened by it. I feel like there's no one in the world who'd understand."
"Then why not marry as your parents wish?"
"I'm a selfish guy. I just can't do anything if I'm not feeling into, not even for my parents who mean the world to me. It's my life after all, let me live on my accord, make mistakes and learn from it. I have got only once chance"
"I guess I should appreciate your honesty at least"
"It feels good sharing with you. Thanks for listening. Thanks a lot for helping me. You will not tell my parents, right? Can I count on you?"
"Yes, only for tomorrow. I don't want any part in this after that"
"Deal"
"How are we going to stay awake? I'm already tired"

Damn it Rohini don't say out loud your inner thoughts. What if he misbehaves after you sleep? Just be careful and stay awake.
She thought to herself

"We can watch movie or something"
He turned on the big TV in his room. He scrolled through the channels, there was nothing good. In one of channels a couple was kissing passionately, he immediately changed to another looking for something decent for both to watch. Rohini felt uncomfortable after seeing the tiny glimpse of kissing on TV. She had seen such scenes but it was very uncomfortable watching a kiss scene with him in a room alone. So she suggested to turn it off. TV did not look like a good solution.

There was silence for moments. They both laid down with legs stretched facing the ceiling, Rohini on bed and Arjun on the floor near the bed.

Arjun interrupted the silent night by saying
"Can I ask you something?"
"Yeah"
"Why talk to strangers?"
"I don't have friends. I'm mostly content with not having friends but sometimes I do get lonely"
"Why no friends?"
"All my friends are in a better place in their lives. I feel like a loser compared to them. I'm in the same company for years making less pay. I didn't want them to know how worse I have turned into"
"Don't say that. I think you're talented. I know how good you are at work. If you want to change job, I can help you with that. Don't think that you are a loser."
"Really? Thanks, I didn't expect this from you. You're always harsh with me at work"
"Sorry I made you feel like that. I know you are capable of doing more so I might have pushed you a little more. I'm sorry if that was harsh to you. I didn't mean to be harsh. I will try to be nicer to you"
"It does feel good sharing things" she said agreeing to his earlier comment
"Yeah" he responded in agreement

Their midnight chat continued through the night. They did not sleep at all. As wedding time approached closer, they ended their soulful, meaningful talks and got ready for the wedding.

She dressed herself in a beautiful fancy saree. Arjun was wearing the sherwani he bought with her. She thought that he looked like a movie hero. The more she got to know him, the more clear she was able to see him, see his real beauty. Arjun couldn't believe how she managed to hide all that beauty with her dull office wears. Seeing her in this beautiful saree made his heart skip a beat.

Rohini was enjoying the wedding ceremony, how grand and beautiful it was. She was standing by Arjun's side. He looked at her for a moment, Rohini felt love, lust, passion all of it in that one look which made her nervous. She imagined if they played any love song at that instant, she would have believed that she was part of a romantic movie. It was magical. He was Prince Charming treating her like Cinderella. It was a memorable wedding.

That evening they had to leave Mumbai. Arjun was traveling with her. They boarded the plane with not much talking involved. They got used to mocking and arguing but not for this niceness or intense emotions.

Arjun fell asleep immediately after take off. He was a loud snorer. Rohini controlled her laughter to herself and recorded few of his best snores as it may come handy in future. He was sleeping peacefully not caring about anything. He turned his head and rested his head on Rohini, unconscious in his sleep. Rohini didn't move a muscle not wanting to wake the beast on hibernation. Having him rest on her shoulders, gave her an unthought desire to think what it would be like to be with him. She erased that immediately as she thought he was way out her league.