Chapter 11 : It's A Sad F**king Miserable Day

Arjun referred a job vacancy for Rohini through one of his connections. Interview was scheduled that day. Rohini was very hopeful about getting selected. She went to bed the previous night in a hopeful mindset. Soon it was sabotaged by her roommates. Rohini was born and raised in a town with hotter temperature. She had troubles with her roommates when it comes to AC temperature, they preferred it colder while she couldn't survive cold. Throughout the night they had disagreements in adjusting AC temperature which led to minimized sleeping. On interview day, she was super tired with insufficient sleep. She got late to interview as her roommate occupied bathroom for longer time not letting her to get ready. She got stuck in the morning traffic which was hectic more than usual. It all indicated Rohini that the interview was going to be a failure. She wanted to give up and go back to her office. She didn't want to disappoint Arjun, he may not help the next time. What left of her little hope for that day was smashed when the interviewer was very rude and insulted her for every wrong answer. She felt bad and sad. She blamed herself for not knowing stuff other than her project. She felt like that she was the most talentless person to live on Earth. She questioned herself what a waste of time and effort living such a miserable lonely loser life.

She went back to office by lunch time, once the interview was done. It was very clear that she was not going to get selected. She was afraid what Arjun will think of her. She was not OK with being a loner, but she had no other choice. Arjun knowing about her loser self was another great embarrassment she was not ready to face. When he saw her, he didn't ask about the interview. There was already a lot of work piled up. So they both had a busy afternoon. Rohini felt it was a good escape from embarrassment. Evening proceeded with more work. Arjun was done for day, when he was about to leave he asked Rohini when she will be leaving. It's his habit to check if she gets to her hostel on time safely. She told him that she will be leaving soon. He suggested her that the work can be done next day but she insisted that she will stay back for some time. Another reason for her to stay back late at work was she did not want to go to her horrible hostile hostel. She didn't want to take any roommates tortures.

While he was leaving Rashi asked if he can drop her on the way. Although Rashi's place is not on his way home, she asked to spend time with him. Usually he might have said no, but that day he said he will be having dinner before starting home and invited if Rashi wanted to join. Rashi was on cloud nine. They both left office together. Seeing them leave together made Rohini sad and angry. She felt that setting them up together was a bad idea. Rohini knew that he was out of her league, there's no hope for her, but she didn't want it to be Rashi.

Why won't he stay alone for a while? Why is he jumping from one relationship to another? Why her? She never spoke to me before Arjun joined my team

Rohini left office very sad and tired, reluctant to meet those monsters in her room. She didn't want to deal with any of the things. All she wanted to was to lie flat on her bed cover herself with blanket and cry.

She did that. It was one of the bad sad f**king miserable day in her life. She cried without making a sound. She didn't want to broadcast her loser life to everyone.

"Reached hostel?" a text from Arjun blinked
She did not respond but she felt little better that someone cares for her at least.
In about ten minutes he called her. She didn't want to answer when her voice was all coarse with the crying. She put her phone on silent. He kept calling her. She thought it was maybe because he was worried about her, it's not right to leave him be worried. She disconnected the call and texted him that she reached safely. He asked why she didn't pick up. She was thinking what to say to that. While she was still thinking he called her again. Now she had no other choice but to answer.

"Hello" she said
"Hey what happened? Why aren't you answering me?"
"Nothing. I slept."
"Why do you sound like this? What's wrong?"
"Nothing. Just common cold"
"Are you crying?"
She couldn't respond. She was afraid that her voice would break. She took a minute to hold her tear.
He was listening calm waited for her to compose herself.
"Hey it's okay. Everything will be alright. Is it because of the interview?" he asked calming
"I didn't do well Arjun. I'm such a idiot. I'm good for nothing." she said without holding her tears.
"It's okay. There's plenty of jobs out there. You know it's difficult for everyone in changing a job for the first time. I have faced a lot of rejections myself. Don't feel bad. I will help you"
"It's not just that" she continued
"Then what?" he asked
"Everything is a problem. I hate my life. I hate my job. I hate my hostel. I hate my roommates" she didn't hold back anything. She was on a roll.
"Come on. Don't act like a child. It's just a bad day"
"Thanks. For talking to me" she remembered suddenly how he was patiently with her whining.
"Anytime Rohini"
They stayed silent not knowing what to talk about next.
"So what's wrong with your hostel?" he asked in an attempt to break the awkward silence.
She told all about the roommates problem. That night they talked about an hour. She felt relieved venting her bad day. She felt like he is really a good friend to her. She started to respect him more. That respect made her romantic thoughts about him vanish. Talking to him was the only good thing that happened to her that day.