Chapter 10 : Haunted Thoughts

Rohini came back to Chennai. Her everyday routine life resumed just like the usual. Arjun was nicer and he didn't force her into going anywhere with him or the team. She was warming up to the idea of her old self, a peaceful lonely soul. He helped her in trying for other jobs, he gave tips on how to prepare for interview. He referred her to his friend's organizations. She became more positive in finding a new job. Everything was fine except there was this one thing that bothered her.

It's the look Rohini felt on that wedding day. Ever since whenever she looked at Arjun, there was a tiny desire to become Arjun's love interest. She questioned herself why he gave that look? Does that mean anything?  Was that just his lazy sleepy eyes? Rohini thought thinking someone in a romantic aspect is like being Haunted in horror movies. The haunting won't stop until you have closure, like moving out of the haunted house or burning the corpse or vomiting excessive dark chunks. She wondered what would be closure in this scenario. Rohini felt like she needed to find what closure is, as Arjun didn't seem to show any interest in her. He used to tease her before but he had to stop that as Rohini made him think of him as harsh. He is now quiet and very formal in the way he talked to her. Rohini didn't want to be a victim of unrequited love.

An idea popped into her head, she thought if Arjun wasn't available, these stupid thoughts won't be bothering her at all. Arjun should date someone. Immediately Rashi sounded like a viable candidate. She is beautiful, she is from North India, they both know Hindi, she likes him already. Rohini made a plan to set them up. She also knew that Arjun wouldn't go with Rashi alone. She called Rashi and Arjun to hang out in the beach for the weekend. She didn't inform Arjun that Rashi would be joining. She told Rashi that Arjun would be coming and that she had to cancel in the last minute. Her wing woman trick worked out well, they did get to spend time together. Rashi was so happy that she thanked Rohini for setting up them together. She became more friendly with Rohini since then. Arjun didn't say anything about Rohini ditching him in last minute. He continued the day calm and quiet. Rohini at first liked this gentleman behavior but then doubted whether he was more fun before being his annoying self.

Rohini got bored at work with him being quiet with her. She took him out for an evening break from work. She grew impatient as he was very quiet even when he wasn't working. She asked him why he wasn't talking to her. He said he was afraid to come off as harsh. He said that he considered Rohini to be a good friend that's why he liked messing with her. He told her that he thought silly banters and annoying each other was their kind of thing. He said he was sorry that he misunderstood and overstepped.

It made sense to her why was he like that, and it was her who misunderstood him and overreacted. She asked him to be his old self and told him that she misunderstood. They talked and decided to be friends with better understanding.

Arjun asked her why she tried to set him up with Rashi. She said that it was her attempt to help a friend, although it was purely meant for escaping her haunted thoughts (romantic feelings for Arjun).
"I don't need a help" he said
"Why not? She is a good girl"
"She's not my type"
"What's your type?"
"I don't know. I'm still figuring it out"
"Why don't you date her and see if she's the one?"
"She's trying too hard. I don't know. What's the challenge in that? What's my part in that? I'd like a challenge. I like someone who challenges and argues with me, over someone who loves me unconditionally. Do you know what I mean?"
She was thoughtful for a moment and nodded as she understood what he meant.
" Plus we work in the same place, if things didn't go well it'd be super awkward every time I see her at work" he added
"Ok I will stop playing wing woman. Let's go"
They got back to work. That night Rohini was relieved that Arjun doesn't want to date anyone from her office. A new thought came into her mind. He also said that he likes challenges, does that mean he likes me?
And the haunting continued her.