Can you say-?

this one is for  Eatgrass69

apparently there's a category for this called DDM, still figuring out what that is! 

You kissed Alex goodbye before leaving for work. It was a Sunday but something urgent came up, so you had to rush in which left Alex to look after their daughter. He played with her, fed her lunch and was just about to take her in for her afternoon nap but she was very cranky and was refusing to sleep. So Alex got out his guitar to put her to sleep. 

He started to sing random tunes that only made her excited. He was also happy seeing his daughter beaming. Go to bed, princess. please - he sang strumming his guitar making pleading eyes at the little girl in front of him who just went wheeeeee. 

Wait, she occasionally made some gibberish sounds but never spoke something understandable. 

He gently laid down the guitar aside and sat there kneeling in front of the crib, "Are you speaking something?" She giggled while Alex prompted his kid many a time hoping he'd succeed, "Can you say dada for me?"   (i didn't know what to say, what do you usually call your dad?) 

But that was the time she decided to go to sleep, so Alex gave up. He planted a light kiss on her forehead and left the room slowly. You came home in the evening, Alex smiled "Hey, how was your day?" 

You frowned, "Tiring, how was yours?" 

"Fun. She almost said her first word today. almost" You rub your palms excitedly while heading to your daughter's room who was playing with her soft toy. You pick her up and ask, "Can you say mama?" 

Your daughter was more concentrated on the minion toy that got left behind on the floor and was leaning to get it. You try once again, "Ma-Ma. Can you say that for me, Baby?" Alex grabs the minion to hand it to her, immediately your daughter goes "dada" lightly under her breath thinking Alex is taking away her toy. 

Alex looked at you, his eyes lit up like Christmas tree "Did you hear that?"

You nodded in a yes and kissed your daughter while Alex clapped, "Yes, very good. Say it again, baby. Say dada" Only this time, she said it with more excitement and confidently, you all cheered again. 

you ask again while placing her back in the crib, "Can you say mama now?" 

She once again coos "dada" 

Alex laughs while you throw him a look, "Please. Baby" She paying no heed to you begins chanting dada non-stop. You look at Alex with an incredulous look while he just gave a cocky expression, "It's ok - she'll come around to saying mama someday. after all, dada is the best" 

__________________

ok, warning. long author's note maybe. 

firstly, I may not write for a couple of days as my mental health is all over the place rn and I need some time to sort everything out. I genuinely want to thank you guys for all the reads I've been getting lately. means so much. 

secondly, something super sad happened around here yesterday. there was a gas leak around a state across mine and so many people were infected (many kids) and people died. all places around the factory were evacuated and the situation is pretty hectic to add upon this COVID thing. also, my aunt who's living with us currently was supposed to be there - like in that city if not for this lockdown, to think of that so crazy. I'm just overwhelmed with all that is happening around and just wanted to vent somewhere

anyway, hope you are safe! much love x