Chapter Twenty: It's in that fruit bowl

Peter shook his head, as a lame attempt to wake up. He looked out through the window, the rain had stopped.

He smiled and reached for his phone on the floor. He was waiting for the rain to stop so he could go out on patrol. He checked the time... It was almost midnight. Well... He did already get some sleep...

Before he even knew it he put on his suit and jumped out of his window, safely of course. Just swinging around satisfied him, but of course, stopping crime was his main goal.

As he swung past an alleyway he froze, he heard a gunshot.

He immediately came down onto a building nearby, looking over the edge into the dark alleyway. He had to squint his eyes to see better but he did manage to make out a silhouette of a man, holding a gun to the air.

He immediately panicked when he saw a child, grabbing onto the leg of a different man, Peter guessed that he was the child's father, who was hugging the small kid in an attempt to calm down.

Peter wished that it was the last time he saw a child in a situation like this. He locked eyes with the small kid and he smiled, even though it wasn't possible to see it through the mask.

The boy waved at him and wiped away the tears that were streaming down his cheeks, putting on a smile to replace the small frown he had earlier. 

The criminal saw this and looked around himself, finally spotting the Peter on the rooftop. He aimed the gun at the father who was still in the corner, now holding his son in his arms.

Peter immediately swung down, kicking the gun out of the mans hands. His glare was now aimed at Peter who was standing in his way, blocking the path towards the street.

He tried to reach for the gun that was laying next to the dumpster. The father who was frozen in fear a few seconds ago kicked the weapon out of the criminals reach. The now unarmed man went to punch the father who backed away, holding his child closer to him. Peter pulled on the mans shoulder, turning him around.

Before the criminal could react Peter punched him in the face. It was strong enough to throw the man at the concrete below their feet. 

The father ran past him mumbling out quick thank yous and held his child's head to his shoulder. As he picked up his cell phone to call the cops while hurrying up down the street, the small boy waved at Peter. Peter returned the wave, pairing it up with a smile.

As he put his hand down he went to turn around, his Spidey senses going off. He quickly put his hands in the air when the criminal aimed his gun at him "Woah slow down there Greg. How's your wife? How are the kids? We've got some catching up to do-"

Quickly Peter crouched down, catching "Greg" off guard. Before he could fire the gun in his hands, Peter swiftly kicked him behind his knees causing the man to fall down. He could hear the man curse under his breath as his head slammed against the concrete. 

"I didn't know you were falling for me this hard Greg" Peter commented, kicking the gun next to the dumpster.

He went to stand over the mans face, wanting to make a snarky remark. Before he could do that the criminal caught him off guard and pulled on his leg, now Peter was laying down next to the man on the concrete.

"Look at the stars out tonight" Peter commented, springing up only to see the man reaching for the gun that was on the ground.

He finally picked up the gun, aiming it at Peter again. Peter couldn't help but smile "Can I borrow that for one second?"

He quickly webbed up the gun's muzzle, bringing the gun to him. He slammed it against the wall and looked at the criminal apologetically "I'm sure I can fix it."