The Ancient Way to Peace

"Kobudo is closed hand." He took my hands quickly & held them out in front of me with a firm hold around my wrists. I instinctively made fists. He loosened his grip. "Most martial arts are Karate. Open hand."

He swung my hands up towards my face & I instinctively opened them. I winced; afraid I would actually slap myself.

Master Splinter chuckled warmly. The umber colored fur around his mouth curled momentarily & revealed a glint of a smile. "Open hand like a Karate chop, yes an empty hand. We do not practice Karate!

"Closed hand, like a fist? To punch?"

"No. Enclosed hands, like weapons."

"Weapons?"

"Yes, child. Yet one cannot control weapons if they cannot control their hands. My son has been working with your hands."

"Just the little symbols.."

"Mudra are not little symbols! He should not be teaching them to you! You cannot control your hands if you cannot control your body. The same goes for the mind. We will begin working with your body."

"Then I can use a weapon?"

"Then you can use your hands!"

I was confused but I stared straight ahead, determined to accomplish the impossible. I knew this was going to be the first step into something I couldn't possibly be prepared for. It was already underway & there was no going back now. This incredible person was sharing knowledge with me that the world hadn't seen in hundreds of years. I could not let him down. Only his sons remained & they had cared for me, given me a home, saved my life. I could repay them this way. Letting them teach me to save my own.

"Are you nervous?"

Their Father circled around me, stroking his chin, studying my attentive posture. He knew I was not trying to impress him. He knew I was genuinely afraid & I understood the weight of his undertaking me as a student. He wasn't surprised by my honesty.

"Yes."

"As you should be."

I looked at him. I didn't mean to sound sarcastic; it's just my stubbornness.

"Then why do ask me, Sensei?"