The Last of the Birthday Parties

Birds were singing

Birds were singing. The sunshine was like a fresh blanket & the breeze was a soft as your mother's hair brushing against you when she hugged you. 

I'm too old for swing sets but this is cool. Feet kicking out ahead of me. My Airs look fresh! Happy birthday me.

"Noni! Look after Jojo!

"Ok!"

Moms is yelling at me. She's hanging out the damn window, Oh my gawd!

"What is he getting into? You don't let him squash Mrs. Pineda's tomatoes!'

"Ma! I'm right here! I got my eye on him."

Seriously woman you are three stories up! "When is everybody coming, already? We're hungry!"

"You watch yourself Birthday Princess!" Is she really shaking her fist? "Watch that boy!"

Ooo when they gonna stop calling me princess! "Ma stop shouting! Everyone can hear you. You sound like a crazy old lady!" Oh no, is that the cute guy from the laundry room. Oh he is watching Moms act like a fool.

"I'll go get the broom, you're asking for it, Noni!"

Yeah you would you old witch, I love you, Ma. "Don't call me Princess! I'm eighteen! I'm a queen!" There, made sure he heard that. Ugh he gave me that I don't want you to think I'm interested look.

"Hey Queen, Norjannah! I have a present for you."

"Huh? Ewwwww! Jojo" What the hell did he just put in my hand! Oh god it's slimy!!!

"It's just a lizard. It's a loyal subject to the Island Goddess Queen!"

Here let me hand you this wriggling thing back, weird little boy. "Yeah you better show respect!" Why is it wrapping around my arm! Ahhckkk It's trying to go up my sleeve! "Ugh Jojo, it's gross! It's hissing at me. Ewww look at it's tongue!" take it take it take it Why won't you take it, boy!

"'It's trying to kiss you!" 

The dirt strewn little boy was laughed in delight as the blue skink plopped into the grass & sauntered away.

"Oh Jojo you're so weird! Why do you play with these things, they're gonna get you sick."

"I like them, it was eating the tomatoes so I gave it one."

Here I am, this boy's got me trudging through the plants in my dress. "No! You didn't, Jojo!"

"To get it out of the garden."