No One Can Save You From Yourself

***I'm not even worried if this is a known character; this pic is perfect! BTW if you happen to know if it is, or who the artist for this pic is; plz let me know in the comments so I can give credit!

I laid my head against his arm, as he knelt in front of me, on the dirt floor.

"I've been here for days now. You won't talk to me."

"It goes both ways!" He almost laughed, as he shifted his weight to hold my head. "We're talking now, that's for damn sure."

I was exhausted & sobbing, so tired all I wanted was to let him still cradle my head in that awkward position, where I just looked straight down through his arms & talked to his feet; so I didn't have to look at him.

"D...from the moment you saw me in the tunnels, you were...angry that I was back." I felt him shift his weight again. I knew he was hanging his head. I knew his face without seeing it. "You wouldn't even say a word to me. Now I know why all the tunnels are blocked off...you wanna keep people out of the Undercity and keep them from finding the Lair...why couldn't you just tell me that. ..Hey so I turned our old hang out into a refugee camp...we gotta go this way now..."

I was mumbling into his knees, mocking his voice & what I thought he should have done. He answered cooly into the darkness. I could hear his voice splash out over the water, churning below us.

"Same reason."

"As what?" I whined, looking up into his face, wiping my nose like a little kid. There was an authority in his voice now that made me feel regarded as both loved and bothersome.

"Same reason I didn't know how to feel about you showing up after all these years." He smoothed my hair down my back as he rested his face into my shoulders. "I may not have told you about that guy drawing the picture of me...it scared me but I never really saw how it pertained to you...till now. I didn't have a reason to tell you about Norjannah, but I don't purposely keep things from you."

"But you don't trust me, either. Not anymore."

"Look. I don't know what all you've seen, but after everything that has happened today, all the things we've said...I don't think it's a good idea to talk about it anymore, right now." Turning my face in his hand to look directly at me, I could see his concern was sincere. "I want to get you home, you need rest. Don't leave tonight. I'll pay for the hotel."

I scrunched my face & scowled at him. It had always been this way between us. For some reason, the more accommodating he was; the more irritated I always became. He had learned how to adjust from auto pilot to engaged, to .