Chapter 25: Home Base

I decided to surprise y'all with a new chapter even though it's not my 'schedule'. Haha, with school being off for the next two weeks I thought, might as well write!

(Natasha's POV)

We finally arrived back to the Avenger's Base very early in the morning. I look over expecting the same base I left but I was driving by an utterly destroyed pile of rocks and glass.
"What happened here?" I ask Sam as he is turned to the back of the old building.
"Thanos blew it up." He said simply. I shrugged at his answer.

Somehow workers managed to already start working on a new base. There is a sleek and modern building being worked on to replace the old one. Seeing as it has only been a week, they move fast. Many workers are lifting up steel and vibranium to add on to the shell of the newly constructed base. It looks like it will be even bigger and more advanced, if that's even possible.

Sam pulled up to the front of the base.
"You're not coming?" I asked tiredly and picked the suit up from the back.
"Nah, I got my own place here now. I didn't want to spend all my time here, I like my space." Sam laughed and patted my shoulder.
"Just call me when you need something, I'll gladly help. Also, please get my friend back... I kinda need him." I smiled and thanked him as I left.

I sluggishly walked inside the new base when I saw something, or someone rather, I didn't expect.
"Nick?" I said shocked.
"Back from the dead too Natasha?" He joked but his face was fully serious.
"Very funny. What are you doing here? I thought you would be in New York now."

"I do actually care about the people I put my trust in. Also, I had a funeral to attend to."
Right, they probably would have a funeral for me.
"Then why are you still here?"

"I decided to see my best agent. When I heard the news that she was dead I'll admit, I was sad to hear such a talent gone. But then I also realized, billions of people are in gratitude to that agent. Now I'm just a surprised to see her right now." He smiled.

"Ah, what a tale." I replied smiling.
"I may have been dead but I can still sense sarcasm Ms. Romanoff."

Then the realization hit me.
Whose funeral was Nick taking about if it wasn't me...
"Whose funeral did you attend..." I asked unsure and unprepared of the response.
"I'm surprised you don't know. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, Stark is gone... I'm sorry."
"W-what?" I stammered out in shock.

I started crying. I can't stop more tears from falling out and making my face dewy.
"How," I stared to recompose myself. "How did he die?" Nick got up from the chair he was lounging in.

"Well, I wasn't there but I heard that he snapped Thanos and his army to dust, like Thanos himself did 5 years ago. I was surprised to see that Stark our down his life like that, but then I realized, he's gone through some shit. Old Stark would have never even thought of putting down his life." I chuckled and nodded my head.

"But I guess having a break-up of the Avengers really got to him. He realized that, he had a duty to serve and he finally did it." He finished his story.
"Wow," I wiped my tears away. "Stark really surprises me everyday, even when dead."

"Yes, now I think you should get some rest, you look like a mess."
"Wow, thanks." I sarcastically replied.
"I'm not one for emotions but, I do care for you Natasha." He pulled me in for a short but loving hug.
"Thanks." I quietly said beige going to the stairway.

"Oh, before you go. You are room 28." He tossed me a key.
"It's not permanent, it's simple. You'll get a better one soon." I caught the key and nodded.

The room is quite small and well, simple. It has the basics. A queen bed with white covers, a small kitchenette with a full fridge, microwave, and stovetop. The bathroom is nice with grey tie floors and white walls. It has just a small shower and of course a toilet and sink. The sink has some counter space, which is nice.